Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#732391  by scoostraw

Does anyone know what the long-term parking situation is at the Harvard station? I was thinking of taking Metra into Chicago to connect with my Amtrak departure. I would need to leave the car at Harvard for about 5-7 days.

Thanks.
 #732573  by doepack

I'm not sure about Harvard, but I believe there are long-term parking lots at some stations along the MD-N line; I used the one at Libertyville a couple of years ago. You might want to check out other stations along MD-N or NCS in Lake County for more info...
 #733044  by c604.

If you live close to the Harvard depot maybe you could ask the ticket agent during the week or call the RTA travel information line.
 #733065  by scoostraw

These are both excellent ideas. But I live about a 2 hour drive away. Is there a phone number that the agent at Harvard can be reached at?
 #733177  by doepack

Phone # for Harvard ticket agent: (815) 943-5244, open weekdays from 5:35am to 1:35pm...
 #733212  by metraRI

Every municipality is different when it comes to overnight/long term parking. Although I don't know the circumstances at Harvard, most stations along RI do not have designated spots for overnight parking... however stations at Orland/Laraway Rd./Manhattan do. The one thing these stations have in common are the electronic parking machines, while the old fold-up dollar boxes still remain along RI. You may even be better off contacting Harvard police, if they are the ones who patrol the lot... they may be more help than the ticket agent.

From Metra's Site:
Station Parking Contact
815-943-6468
815-943-4431 (Harvard Police)
 #806601  by scoostraw

I thought I would post that I made my trip, and that you can indeed park at the Harvard station for up to 10 days. I did so, and it worked well for me.

Thanks again for the helpful replies from this board.