Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by justalurker66

Works in progress ... please pardon the dust ...
Image Image
I still need to work on the trucks and windows. This is my first model build (other than snap together kits as a kid). It has been an adventure.
  by justalurker66

JLJ061 wrote:It would be real cool if you could make the headlight and marker lights operate in the direction of travel.
Add the cost of lights ($60?) and a couple of diodes you can! I looked around and decided that might be a future upgrade ... including alternating ditch lights ($35 per direction). My budget is a little below prototype.
  by dinwitty

what trains are the bi-levels running now?

(asking from another group forum)
  by justalurker66

dinwitty wrote:what trains are the bi-levels running now?
METRA Electric District are running their 1200 series bi-levels along with their older cars but NICTD's remain parked.
  by dinwitty

confused on that answer, are the south shore Bi-Levels running? and which train or from that answer are they not running because of operational issues?

Not interested in the IC suburban runs (Metra)

I am saying South Shore to differentiate the South Shore/NICTD from IC/Metra
  by justalurker66

Unless I missed an update, NICTD's bi-level trains are still not running ...
  by jlaroccoii

Still having electrical problems? I haven't seen them move in a while. Or is the traffic level not in need of them?
  by buddah

TO Justalurker and jlaroccoii....

Well I have a contact on Flickr who took this just a few days ago , so I guess there back in limited service.. verified he took these on April 14th 2010.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebrown3 ... 049420457/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikebrown3 ... 3884547946
  by justalurker66

Good to see them back in service.
  by Tadman

I was never under the impression the 300's were out of service, just on restricted assignments in order to troubleshoot whatever issue was happening. I saw them Thursday in a quick venture down into the Michigan Avenue cave, so definitely not out of service.
  by justalurker66

I'm sure I read "out" somewhere but I can't find it so it must not be true.
  by Tadman

He's alive! We haven't heard from you forever, PRR.
  by dinwitty

I am planning som e chicago tripping, so I'll try to hit them.