Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by jlaroccoii

I found a site that is going to be releasing soon the new Bi-Level Coaches for the South Shore Line. The web address is below and the already have decals for them. I believe that they have the old Nippon 100 series decals as well. At some point they are going to produce those cars as well. Try the link below to see what they look like. If the pick dosen't show just click on the box and it will show you the model. I beleive they are under Chicago Transportation section on the side bar to the left of the page.

http://islandmodelworks.com/links.html
  by justalurker66

http://islandmodelworks.com/Chicagocommuter.html

October cannot come soon enough ... although Nov-Dec for the single level cars looks good as well.

As one who has been waiting for a while I look forward to SOMEONE producing a model and will be happy to have a model in my hand. :)
  by jlaroccoii

I feel the same way. I just can't spring fot any of the brass I see out there. Money is tight everywhere these days. I wonder if IHP is going to produce theirs soon as well. I know I will get as many as I can just to have them.
  by dinwitty

blows my mind, that guy is amazing, I have 3 of the CTA 1-50 cars here already.

He can produce them as he has a low production need, IE doesnt need to make a bazillion of one item like the big guys, he can fill low production needs, he makes the cars per order.
  by Mike@IHP

jlaroccoii wrote:I feel the same way. I just can't spring fot any of the brass I see out there. Money is tight everywhere these days. I wonder if IHP is going to produce theirs soon as well. I know I will get as many as I can just to have them.
Ours won't be available quite as soon. Our single-level South Shore MU car will be based on the brass model (instead of the pattern we made in 2003) so there will be some continuity in appearance and style for anyone that has the brass models already. And, because of some recent fortuitous developments, we expect to be able to offer them powered at a reasonable price, as well!

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.co,
  by dinwitty

Mike@IHP wrote:
jlaroccoii wrote:I feel the same way. I just can't spring fot any of the brass I see out there. Money is tight everywhere these days. I wonder if IHP is going to produce theirs soon as well. I know I will get as many as I can just to have them.
Ours won't be available quite as soon. Our single-level South Shore MU car will be based on the brass model (instead of the pattern we made in 2003) so there will be some continuity in appearance and style for anyone that has the brass models already. And, because of some recent fortuitous developments, we expect to be able to offer them powered at a reasonable price, as well!

Mike Bartel
IHP
http://ihphobby.tripod.co,
http://ihphobby.tripod.com/

correct linkage

My layout is themed 1950's but this is getting me going just for the finesse of it.
  by jetfan

Here's an updated photo on the Gallery cars as well as an image of the single level cars:

We hope to have both cars ready by the end of next month.
  by jlaroccoii

Those look really good. Thanks for posting the pictures.
  by jetfan

It was for display purposes only. The pantographs will not be included in the kits.
  by justalurker66

jetfan wrote:It was for display purposes only. The pantographs will not be included in the kits.
You may want to correct that in the photographs. The South Shore has one pantograph facing each way on the 100's.

Although it looks like a challenge for someone like me who has limited model building experience I'm looking forward to getting at least a couple of each of the cars. I suppose there are two directions to go ... either to make a shelf display, which wouldn't require motors but could involve lighting or to make them move on rails with motors. Is there an idiot's guide available?

Pantos available separately?
  by jetfan

justalurker66 wrote: You may want to correct that in the photographs. The South Shore has one pantograph facing each way on the 100's.

Although it looks like a challenge for someone like me who has limited model building experience I'm looking forward to getting at least a couple of each of the cars. I suppose there are two directions to go ... either to make a shelf display, which wouldn't require motors but could involve lighting or to make them move on rails with motors. Is there an idiot's guide available?

Pantos available separately?
Hello,
The kits assemble very easily, to get the model as it appears in the picture will take on average about 5 minutes or less, as it is only 6 pieces: body, floor with detail cast in place, 2 trucks, and 2 pantographs. We try to make it as easy as possible for the modeler, no 100 piece kits here. To power a car may take an additional 10-20 minutes. We do not sell the pantographs, they can be purchased from other vendors. Pictured are Sommerfeldts 968 pantographs which go for about $20 or less a pair.
Take care,
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC
  by boogiebnate

My friend is interested in the Ho scale cars but in N scale. He told me to ask you if he could somehow special order both sets in N scale. He would buy a lot of them and then paint them and then sell them.
  by justalurker66

Poking around the web again and found ...

Island Model Works has the order button available for the single level cars! :-D
Decals are available for the original fat stripes as well as the newer narrow stripes.
The price is $59.99, which is less than what was on the site before.