Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#647316  by F40CFan

byte wrote:which makes me think this recent run of Metra MP36s is somewhat pointless because there are no suitable cars out there to put behind them.
Not to worry, if the MP36 model is true to the prototype, it won't run anyway. Sorry, couldn't help myself..... :wink:
 #661413  by buddah

byte wrote:I stopped in the Golden Spike sometime last fall, and he had some of the smooth-sided Three Brothers cars but none of the corrugated variant. No one makes the corrugated variant anymore, which makes me think this recent run of Metra MP36s is somewhat pointless because there are no suitable cars out there to put behind them.

Byte , thanks for the update I see Bud sold the 3 stainless steel corrugated three brothers cars he had left, and only the smooth sided ones remain. I have Metra and GO transit modeled but not running. Im also waiting for the MPI's excitedly. the fact that there are no corrugated cars is disappointing with the MPI release. However there was one piece of Metra I always wanted to model but it never existed until recently that is I happen to find a company building them and those are the IC/ Metra ED cars. Now in there retirement they get modeling recognition. Here's a pic of one.
 #661980  by F40CFan

I just picked up an Athern N-Scale F45. I am going to attempt to convert it to an F40C in its original configuration (what a surprise!!!). I have some Milwaukee Road bi-levels that it'll look great with. I chose the F45 over the FP45 because it is closer in length. The F45 is about a foot shorter than the F40C while the FP45 is a couple of feet longer. I did get an FP45, the one-spot, in Milwaukee Road livery. I need to find NWSMTD blue. The white, silver and chrome I can handle. If anyone knows exactly what shade that blue is, I'd appreciate it being passed along. Thanks in advance.

Re:

#713673  by GWoodle

tecnomuzik wrote:Does anyone know if anyone makes an HO Scale corrugated Bi-level pullman in stainless steel (undecorated) like the last car in this pic?

http://www.railroadpix.com/images/passe ... tra_01.jpg
Kato makes an F40PH in both HO & N scales. The HO was done in the first blue RTA scheme. Both may have been custom painted into the current Metra colors.

AFAIK the Con-Cor bilevels are closer to Milw & RI design than the CB&Q stainless ones. I don't know about the car in your picture. It may be easier to find cars in the C&NW/RI painted cars.
Not sure when ConCor may re-run these cars. THey have done a good job with the 1930's era special trains. They may have an aero train as used in RI service.
 #796643  by eolesen

Does virtual modeling count? There's a growing number of Metra routes for Microsoft Train Simulator, including the Harvard Sub, the C&M, and soon the Kenosha Sub.