Railroad Forums 

• Flood Problems on Shore Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#793174  by Noel Weaver

I have been a "member" of the AAA (triple A) for many, many years and yes they call you a member but you have no say as
to the leadership, policies nor any other matters of operation of this outfit. Still the benefits are worth the cost.
The current AAA map of Connecticut, Massachusetts and Rhode Island shows the distance from New York to New Haven as
81 miles with a total driving time of 72 minutes (1 hour and 12 minutes). This is faster than the fastest time on the New
Haven Railroad in the past. This is better than a 60 MPH average in an area where at no place is the legal speed higher than
55 MPH and in New York City it is not higher than 50 MPH.
Of course the AAA is mostly anti passenger rail at least as far as Amtrak is concerned. Often their city maps do not even
show the location of a railroad station, South Station, Boston being an example as well as other places too. They have
lobbied hard against Amtrak and any other support for railroad service.
You can get anywhere fast by driving like a "bat out of hell" with disregard for all motor vehical laws as well as everybody
else on the highway but at what a cost. A speeding ticket will cost you plenty and an accident even more. Is it worth it to
try to beat the time of a train being operated lawfully or for that matter a bus IF it is being operated lawfully although many
times the buses speed too?
If you make the trip from New York to Boston in the time snown on a AAA map, you will have to exceed the posted speed
limits all of the way in order to do so. NO THANKS!!!!!
Noel Weaver
 #793195  by Chanman

Not so much blatant disregard for traffic laws. But, up here we have that stereotype of a hustle and bustle society, we need to be places in a hurry you know that type of stuff. Not that I want to drive 90mph all of the time, I move over for the people hauling serious a**, but it's just the pace of traffic. On route 15 (Merrit/Hutchinson Parkway whatever you call it where you're from) if you do less than 65 in the slow lane you get run off of the road.
 #793250  by acela 2036

Getting back on topic here,
I went through Westerly yesterday on Regional 172, Improvements, but there was still water on the tracks, still had to slow down for a 30 mph restriction.
 #793281  by pennsy

That road is legendary. You cruise at about ten mph above the speed limit, and the cars will zoom past you. According to the report of one of the people at the hotels along the route, at fifteen miles above the speed limit you will be tracked, at twenty mph above you will be pulled over. My sainted mother in law was once told to speed up by a state trooper, as he felt she was going too slow and was a traffic hazard. She was at the speed limit.
 #793408  by Ridgefielder

Chanman wrote:Not so much blatant disregard for traffic laws. But, up here we have that stereotype of a hustle and bustle society, we need to be places in a hurry you know that type of stuff. Not that I want to drive 90mph all of the time, I move over for the people hauling serious a**, but it's just the pace of traffic. On route 15 (Merrit/Hutchinson Parkway whatever you call it where you're from) if you do less than 65 in the slow lane you get run off of the road.
The local nickname I know it by is the Merritt Motor Speedway... it's an interesting road to go that fast on given the 1930's engineering standards (grass shoulders, no acceleration lanes, narrow bridges) but it is what it is.