Railroad Forums 

• Flood Problems on Shore Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#791104  by TomNelligan

JimBoylan wrote:At 3:15 p.m. 4/2, all New Haven - Boston trains are sold out until 7:54 a. m. Mon. 4/5, or 5:10 a.m. in the other direction!
In this case that's a euphemism for "canceled". That's how the web reservation system commonly deals with canceled trains.
Last edited by TomNelligan on Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #791110  by Gilbert B Norman

Surprising that, as of this posting, Amtrak has not committed to run the 1XXX "Extras" via B&A as of now; nor have they announced that the NEC through Kingston will be restored to service by tomorrow.

It would appear that this week would have exceptionally heavy travel insomuch as most Public Schools are on Spring Break - and this year at the same time that the Roman Catholic schools (where Spring Break is to my knowledge tied to Holy Week) are on break as well. Instead of the "good times" model of families jet-setting off to The Islands, a "minication" to NY or Boston just might be all that can be worked in this year.

It appears that this will become a "stay tuned".
 #791118  by amtrakhogger

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Surprising that, as of this posting, Amtrak has not committed to run the 1XXX "Extras" via B&A as of now; nor have they announced that the NEC through Kingston will be restored to service by tomorrow.

It would appear that this week would have exceptionally heavy travel insomuch as most Public Schools are on Spring Break - and this year at the same time that the Roman Catholic schools (where Spring Break is to my knowledge tied to Holy Week) are on break as well. Instead of the "good times" model of families jet-setting off to The Islands, a "minication" to NY or Boston just might be all that can be worked in this year.

It appears that this will become a "stay tuned".
Amtrak does not have enough "qualified" crews to operate over the B&A to run trains over the Inland route. The only crews that have remain qualified on the B&A are Zone 3 Albany crews that run 448/449. Most Zone 1 T&E personnel let their B&A qualifications lapse since Amtrak stopped running Inland trains several years ago.
 #791170  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Hogger, I think i "did this stuff for a living' long enough in this life to know that T&E crews must be Rules Qualified by a host road and that very few Amtrak C&E's are so qualified over the B&A. Further it would be unreasonable to expect that CSX would release their own to be assigned as Pilots on Amtrak trains.

I hope that my observation was not interpreted as one might expect to have coming from a fifteen year old Kid Railfan; I was merely addressing the "three a day' that were operated today and would Amtrak be able to operate same Tomorrow?

Finally, through a Service Bulletin released 630P ET, they have committed to operate 'three a day' Tomorrow over the B&A. This Bulletin also addresses that Acelas will remain suspended East of New Haven through Easter Sinday. Maybe Monday will be a "go' for all service.
 #791206  by JimBoylan

Saturday and Sunday trains North are 1160, 1154, and 1194, leaving New York at 9a, 1p, and 5p.
Returning, 1161, 1163, and 1165, leaving Boston at 8:15a, 10:15a, and 1:45p.
Monday seems to be the regular schedule.
 #791207  by CSX Conductor

amtrakhogger wrote:Amtrak does not have enough "qualified" crews to operate over the B&A to run trains over the Inland route. The only crews that have remain qualified on the B&A are Zone 3 Albany crews that run 448/449. Most Zone 1 T&E personnel let their B&A qualifications lapse since Amtrak stopped running Inland trains several years ago.
This is not true. Myself and several others swapped to Amtrak from CSXt recently. Althoug the others aren't marked-up yet, we kept our qualifications up just in case. Also, there are at least 3 others on the Boston spare board that kept their qualifications up. Today There were 3 round-trips. Tomorrow I believe the same amount. First train west is 1161 which will go BOS & BBy straight to SPG were springfield crew for the regular schedule 461 shuttle will take train to NHV making 461 schedule and then 161 schedule to DC. First eastbound will be 1160, a detour of 160. After a meeting yesterday we came to the conclusion that we had more engineers qualified than we needed. After the problems on the B&A today, I don't really miss it. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
 #791277  by ajp

i was going to take 1094 stm to bos departing 18:24 this evening = when I got to stm at 1800 the amtrak agent told me the train was going to be "rediculously late" = his info at 23:30

the train was supposed to arrive in bos about 23:30

i turned aroud, went home to white plains, got into my car at 1930 and was in boston downtown by 2245.

Now I tale amtrak for the rest it afffords me, and the inland route would of been cute, but when according to the ticket agent it coudnt get out of virginia in time, the rain in R.I had nothing to do with this 4 hr delay
 #791289  by amtrakhogger

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Hogger, I think i "did this stuff for a living' long enough in this life to know that T&E crews must be Rules Qualified by a host road and that very few Amtrak C&E's are so qualified over the B&A. Further it would be unreasonable to expect that CSX would release their own to be assigned as Pilots on Amtrak trains.

I hope that my observation was not interpreted as one might expect to have coming from a fifteen year old Kid Railfan; I was merely addressing the "three a day' that were operated today and would Amtrak be able to operate same Tomorrow?

Finally, through a Service Bulletin released 630P ET, they have committed to operate 'three a day' Tomorrow over the B&A. This Bulletin also addresses that Acelas will remain suspended East of New Haven through Easter Sinday. Maybe Monday will be a "go' for all service.
I was not suggesting anything of the sort. Rather, I was commenting that Amtrak (based on crew availability) cannot just readily detour trains via Springfield over the B&A.
 #791375  by BuddSilverliner269

Csx conductor, it appears that you recently came over from Csx so you and others who recently came from Csx would obviously still be qualified on the B&A. The guys who or on the extra board who happen to still be qualified on the B&A out of Boston take it upon themselves to stay qualified on that line. Amtrak does not require you to qualify or stay qualified on the B&A out of Boston. With that said, of course Amtrak can't say we like to run more trains down the inland route if they don't have the crews and probably don't know who is still qualified.
 #791388  by Gilbert B Norman

As of a few moments ago, the website suggests that Today, there will be "three a day on the B&A" and that Monday, the Shore Line will be restored to service.

Stay tuned for reality; also stay tuned for the MMQBing of Amtrak's response to this emergency.
 #791396  by acela 2036

To be honest with you guys, I wouldn't be surprised if service doesn't get restored till like next Wednesday or something. I have a feeling there just gonna let the water level recede before they do the inspection of the tracks.
 #791415  by pennsy

That would be logical. You can't inspect the tracks until the water level goes down and you can see the ROW. To allow rail traffic before that would be foolhardy.