Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#787763  by doepack

Galesburg25 wrote:I was just wondering since there is always rail traffic in towns such as cicero, downers grove, hinsdale, and all those places, when i was at route 59 since we missed our metra train, we had to wait an hour, and we saw only 1 metra train, how come we didnt see any freight?
was there a railyard were they stop before route 59 or something?
Some freights stop at Eola yard, about a mile or two west of the Route 59 depot, to set out or pick up cars en route. However, all railroad lines, no matter how busy they are overall, can have slow times where very little is moving, and BNSF's racetrack is no exception...
Galesburg25 wrote:and i was also wondering whether or not bnsf serves any customers down the bnsf racetrack, not including the area after cicero, just hinsdale, downers grove, lavergne, etc. not cicero, berwyn, or chicago since i know they serve customers there?
Think about it. If it's a fact that BNSF owns and operates the entire Chicago subdivision between Union Ave. in Chicago and Montgomery, and the freight customers located in the areas you listed above fall within this jurisdiction, then logically, which railroad is serving them? Connect the dots...
 #787869  by Tadman

I think the poster might be asking if freight runs down the line, or if it's more like Metro North where freight is minimal. In Chicago on BNSF, freight frequently operates all the way to the east end of BNSF property for interchange to UP, NS, and a shortline that switches the docks and local industries. That's how most south and west side commuter lines are except SWS, there might not be any freight on SWS. However, CNIC, South Shore, RI (IAIS & CSX) and HC (UP & CNIC) as well as BNSF see at least some freight. The north side of the Metra system is quiet as most freight is branched off at Techny for Bensenville yard or wherever UP branches off to the big CNW yard. There are a few online customers close to downtown, including Finkl & Sons, General Iron, and Chicago Trib.
 #787899  by byte

The SWS actually does have freight service throughout its entire length. Not only are there somewhat frequent runs from the IHB (in Chicago Ridge) to Landers Yard, but there are a few industries along the line as well which get serviced by a local. Beatty Lumber in Oak Lawn and a tank farm in Manhattan have their own sidings and get cars delivered/picked up on a regular basis.
 #788365  by doepack

Tadman wrote:There are a few online customers close to downtown, including Finkl & Sons, General Iron, and Chicago Trib.
And don't forget about the Blommer Chocolate company, just north, and slightly west of OTC. On a good day, with the wind just right, you can smell the chocolate from the terminal platforms. Really brings a smile to the faces of little children during the summer... :-)