Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#787719  by justalurker66

I've been watching Gary Metro again lately since it is one of those places where something different happens (instead of train stops - train goes on or train passes) and it has reasonably easy access.

There are currently two afternoon trains that end at Gary then return to Chicago. Surprising (to me) they are handled differently.

209 arrives (scheduled) at 4:14p on Track 1 eastbound. After arrival a yard employee takes the train to the add track east of the station, changes ends and runs the brake test, then brings the train to the Track 2 westbound side of the station.
218 departs (scheduled) at 4:34p on Track 2 westbound.
There are no other trains at Gary within 30 minutes of this move.

215 arrives (scheduled) at 6:25p on Track 2 eastbound (I believe it crosses over at CP 61.5 / Clark although it could cross as early as CP 64.9 / Parrish). This train holds at the platform and has the ends changed and brake tests done in place.
220 departs (scheduled) at 6:44p.
215 fits in between two other eastbound trains, 15 scheduled 11 minutes before and 115 scheduled 6 minutes after. I'm assuming Track 2 is used to get it out of the way of 115. 215 and 115 run as a skip stop pair starting in Chicago four minutes apart. Unloading 215 on Track 2 would allow more time for passengers to leave 215 without holding up 115.

The turning times are about the same (~20 minutes). The only problem I can see with the "at platform" method 215-115 uses is that passengers might want to board when they see a train present instead of waiting. The "on add track" method keeps the yard work in the yard. It also keeps the train in the yard until the crew is ready to take passengers.

Is 209-218 handled via the add track to keep the yard work away from the platform? Otherwise why not cross it over at CP 51.5 and change ends at the platform?