Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#786559  by Tadman

We've heard it a few times before, but I confirmed this today - on a ride from Armitage to Noyes and back, the door relays on my train of 2400's failed twice, stopping the train for five minutes each time. The second time was at Noyes, where I eventually got off to catch a returning train. This can't help time keeping.
 #786646  by doepack

Had the same trouble on a Loop-bound Green line train out of Harlem recently. Stopped a few minutes at Oak Park, then lost almost 10 more minutes at Austin. They eventually took the train OOS, crossed it over, then ran it back to Harlem, but its follower was also having mechanical problems; couldn't go more than 30mph for some reason. Took me a half hour just to get to Cicero, where I got off and caught a bus to the Blue line to finish my trip to downtown. I know the 5000 series cars are supposed to replace the 2200s, but hopefully they can replace some of the more troublesome 2400s, which have just been beat to death...
 #787014  by MACTRAXX

Doepack and Tadman: I noticed this post on problems with the CTA Boeing cars - are they becoming a problem in service?
With the coming 5000s I remember Byte mentioning that he thinks that the Budd 2200s may outlive the Boeing cars...

Will the CTA be getting enough cars to allow all the 2200s and 2400s to be retired?

This is interesting to me because on my first Chicago visit in 1973 the 2200s were then the newest cars in service-about 3 years or so old-and I recall when the Boeing 2400s were brand-new in 1976-77. Time certainly does fly by...

MACTRAXX
 #787050  by Tadman

It does seem to be a frequent issue. It's got to wreak havoc on timekeeping if the motorman must dismount and go fuss with a door eight cars back. I'm curious what the solution was, I should've watched.