Railroad Forums 

• Photos - Lights out in Little Neck

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#786126  by tun

There was a small blackout in Little Neck last night around midnight. Went to the station to check and it was pitch black. The lights, destination signs, and ticket machines were all off. No tripod, so I set up a 30 second exposure on top of one of the trash cans. These were taken around 12:30am.

You could see the lights still on at Douglaston station in the distance.

Lights are also on right across the border in Great Neck.

I wasn't sure if the 12:52's to PW and NYP would come, but sure enough, the gates activated and along came train #400.

The headlights look pretty weird when you take a pic at night.

Train #401 showed up right after.

Let there be light!
 #786128  by tun

Bonus pics. I was at Woodside earlier in the day and I noticed a pigeon on the tracks. I'm pretty sure it got electrocuted by the third rail. It was hopping around, trying to fly, but it seemed paralyzed.

One of his buddies came to check on him.

But he was soon abandoned.

He finally just rested his head on the rail, awaiting his fate. :(
 #786235  by pennsy

Really nice photos. That pigeon is rather special. I believe I would have made sure he was safe. However, from experience, when a pigeon is damaged in some way, it always ends one way, and after all the local pussycats have to eat, right ???
 #786323  by Otto Vondrak

tun wrote:Bonus pics. I was at Woodside earlier in the day and I noticed a pigeon on the tracks. I'm pretty sure it got electrocuted by the third rail.
The blackout pics were neat, the pigeon pics probably belong elsewhere...

-otto-
 #786930  by RPM2Night

NYR99 wrote:No, I am pretty sure the pigeon pictures belong right here, in the LIRR forum....

Relax...
I agree. 1, the pics are LIRR related. 2, if we all want to talk about the pics, or the topic that comes from them, they do belong here.