• Internet Access on Amtrak Trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by David Benton

AgentSkelly wrote:One of the pioneers in WiFi on trains is SNCF who put it on the TGV back in 2004. They used a small puck antenna on the roof of the passenger coach which feeds into a GSM modem that plugs into a little computer on a 1U rack mount server which is connected to an 802.11 access point. They have each of these units in each car to provide service equally.

As a side tangent on the power outlets; I boarded the Maple Leaf out of its start in Toronto one morning and found the outlet at my seat was dead. I mentioned to one of the VIA crew members and he said he would see if I can do something. About 5 minutes later it was on. I still want to know what he did!
Probably reset a ciruit breaker , or more likely a GFI . More liley to trip if someone is using a "leaky" appliance , such as a portable hot water element etc .
  by mtuandrew

Why, hello there:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/amtrak/am ... 0920846126 (Mods, feel free to shorten this post when it is available elsewhere, but I don't see an issue in posting the full thing here for the moment.)
AmtrakConnect now available on Acela Express trains and in major Northeast Corridor stations

WASHINGTON – This morning Amtrak launched its Wi-Fi Internet service, known as AmtrakConnectSM aboard all 20 high-speed Acela Express trains, in six major stations along the Northeast Corridor, and in all four ClubAcela lounges. Initially offered as a complimentary service, AmtrakConnect is available to every passenger on board Acela Express both in Business and First class seating.
“AmtrakConnect delivers the fast, reliable and consistent connectivity that our customers have been asking for,” said Matt Hardison, Chief, Sales Distribution and Customer Service, noting the on-board Wi-Fi system typically outperforms cellular air cards and smart phones.
Using any laptop computer or other portable device that is Wi-Fi enabled, Amtrak passengers traveling on Acela Express between Washington, D.C. and Boston can connect to the service for general Web surfing and reading email. The system also allows passengers to access their corporate networks through most standard Virtual Private Network (VPN) solutions, turning the train trip into productive work time.
In addition, Amtrak is launching AmtrakConnect for all Amtrak passengers within the gate areas of Washington Union Station, Baltimore Penn Station, Philadelphia 30th Street Station, New York Penn Station, Providence Station and Route 128 Station in Boston. Wilmington Station will be Wi-Fi equipped once major station renovations are completed in early 2011. Wi-Fi service continues to be available in all ClubAcela lounges in Washington, DC, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.
“This is only the first step for our AmtrakConnect program,” says Lenetta McCampbell, Senior Director for On-board Systems. “Amtrak will continually improve the service as Wi-Fi technology evolves, and we are evaluating opportunities to expand AmtrakConnect to additional routes and stations throughout the country.”
AmtrakConnect service on Acela Express trains will remain free of charge during the introductory period, after which the policy will be reviewed based on customer demand and system performance.
AmtrakConnect was deployed on Acela Express by Virginia Beach-based GBS Group and its partner Nomad Digital.

About Amtrak
As the nation’s intercity passenger rail operator, Amtrak connects America in safer, greener and healthier ways. Last fiscal year (FY 2009), the railroad carried 27.2 million passengers, making it the second-best year in the company’s history. With 21,000 route miles in 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian provinces, Amtrak operates more than 300 trains each day—at speeds up to 150 mph—to more than 500 destinations. Amtrak also is the partner of choice for state-supported corridor services in 15 states and for several commuter rail agencies. Visit Amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL for schedules, fares and more information.

About GBS/Nomad Digital
The GBS Group is an award-winning systems engineering, technology integration, and reliability engineering services company delivering custom technical solutions in the passenger rail, energy, and defense / maritime industries. GBS was selected as prime contractor to identify and integrate a Wi-Fi solution for Amtrak's Acela Express fleet. The GBS Group operates from offices in Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Alabama, Texas, and California.
Nomad Digital, based in Newcastle, UK is the world leader in the provision of high speed broadband communication (including WiMax) to and from trains. Founded in 2002, Nomad offers services ranging from total funding, designing, building, operation and life time maintenance of networks, to – as they did for Acela Express - the provision of their unique on-board communications technology to support passenger Wi-Fi.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by septadude

Cool -- love that logo. Whatever brand identity firm AMTK used has got it spot in. The art deco silhouettes are wonderful.
  by DanD3815

saw a bunch of advertisements with that logo all over penn station today, cool stuff.
  by Murjax

I can't wait to hear how well it does, both on reliability and usage. Assuming it's using cellular signals, I gotta wonder if there are some dead areas on the route. Particularly in northern Maryland where I clearly remember a large dead zone.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Must say that when I travel (even if just the 18 mile ride into town on the Buffet Railway), I feel like the opposite of this fellow. However, even if I have no personal need for such (I can make it without a "fix" until I get to a hotel if I even need one then), I accept that Wi-Fi is 'expected' nowadays on premium transportation - especially in view of that it is available on intercity busses. Even a livery car, a Lincoln Town Car, I used this past October for a Brooklyn' (DUMBO; for those tuned to that part of NY) to GCT hire had a sign saying it was Wi-Fi enabled and such was complimentary.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by LIRR272

I'm currently on Train 2171 and the service is good. I've been able to access AOL, company email and this website with out any problems.
  by buddah

Wonderful ...I see the post has been resurrected. The story made it over to my neck of forum " woods" this morning as well, now my fellow associates "the techies" are chiming in.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Amtr ... ast-107118
I said it before and I'll say it again....For railroad related talk come to railroad.net, for wifi/internet or anything IT related go to broadbandreport.com .
  by FatNoah

Assuming it's using cellular signals...
The very short version of how the system works is that each car has a wireless access point that you connect your computer/mobile device to. These access points then connect to the outside world using Mobile WiMax (IEEE Standard 802.16e) via antennas buried along the ROW. In other words, it's not based on the same cellular data systems used by mobile phones and allows for much higher connection speeds.
  by farecard

Mobile WiMax (IEEE Standard 802.16e) via antennas buried along the ROW
But that means that GBS/Nomad Digital must have spent $$$$ installing all those adjacent nodes and antennas. (I assume Amtrak didn't fund same or we'd have heard of this before...)

Also I must wonder about the "buried" aspect. That does not make sense to me. Wonder where there's a paper describing this.
  by Murjax

FatNoah wrote:
Assuming it's using cellular signals...
The very short version of how the system works is that each car has a wireless access point that you connect your computer/mobile device to. These access points then connect to the outside world using Mobile WiMax (IEEE Standard 802.16e) via antennas buried along the ROW. In other words, it's not based on the same cellular data systems used by mobile phones and allows for much higher connection speeds.
Why did Amtrak prefer spending money on this as opposed transmitting signals to cell towers? Does it have to do with MBTA's lack of success with that method? If this is the case then I must say I'm very proud of them for actually taking the time to put some quality in their service.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

At this late date, the introduction of pay WiFi on the Acela should be more a source of embarrassment than positive publicity. After all, if the discount bus lines have been offering FREE WiFi for years, why is it desirable that Amtrak is charging for WiFi on the already expensive Acela service? I'm inclined to say that the lobbyists, lawyers, lawmakers and executive who ride the Acela probably don't care about the ticket prices, because someone else is paying, and they also won't care about any charges for WiFi, because, again, someone else is paying, but to the average consumer, who actually pays out of pocket for transportation, this move is not a selling point.

If Amtrak had introduced WiFi on the Acela 5-6 years ago, it would have been newsworthy and most likely would have justified some sort of access charge. Today, it's just plain embarrassing.

Until Amtrak offers FREE WiFi on all the NE Regionals, the issue of wireless internet will remain as a continuing embarrassment and competitive disadvantage. Granted, Amtrak was starved of funding for years, which explains how late WiFi has arrived, but this backward business model can't be justified.
  by FatNoah

...via antennas buried along the ROW
I was totally in a hurry when I wrote this and ended up cutting half of my post out. The real message was supposed to read something along the lines of "...a similar project was undertaken by the same contractor in Utah which used trackside antennas an existing fiber-optic cable buried along the ROW.

I'm sure one of the choices of WiMax vs. cell data is the speed and quality of the service. Given the nature of travel on the NEC and the relative spaciousness & capacities of trains vs. buses, it's likely that far more people will be actively working on the train than on the bus. Anyone with WiFi enabled smart phones and other devices may also use the service too. A cellular connection might be easily overwhelmed by the traffic.
  by bikentransit

Just offering free WiFi on all Amtrak trains would be a great promotion in iteslef to boost ridership.
  by cruiser939

goodnightjohnwayne wrote:At this late date, the introduction of pay WiFi on the Acela should be more a source of embarrassment than positive publicity.
Umm, perhaps you should check your facts. The WiFi is provided on the Acelas for free.