Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#764057  by blugoose

Aloha;

I was curious to know from any of the engineers or anybody who would know, are the engineers that run Metra on the BNSF and UP lines strictly running Metra trains or can they also be called for freight service? So one day you might be running Metra scoots and the next day be running a coal drag somewhere, or is it you either run Metra or the freights but not both? Reason I ask down the road from me there is a UP loading facility and out front there is a very large sign that says Union Pacific Chicago Division with both a Metra and a UP train on the front with the Chicago skyline in the background, I have seen the same sign somewhere on the UP Metra north line or even at the OTC.

Cheers;
 #764177  by qboy

Yes on UP you can work a Scoot one day and next day work Freight. There are some that only work passenger and there are others that work strictly freight. The sign you speak of is the Chicago Service Unit logo. Which you may find all over the Chicago area UP facilities in the Service unit.