Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#738792  by Tadman

Check this out! A WSOR freight with 3 SD40's pushes a regular metra train after an MP threw an alternator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpuT4RO5mY

PS - there are two scenes, the second one is great because it really captures the flavor of the train accelerating.
 #750607  by Batman2

Most of the videos seem to be at station approaches (with good reason - at least then you can park your car in the parking lot and jump back in. It's cold at 1 AM!). Given all the extra load from the WSOR train's freight haul, acceleration and deceleration probably was pretty bad though. Knowing that most of the metra stations on that line are close to each other, I bet that train probably only broke 30 MPH in a few places. Probably going from Lake Forest to Deerfield, between Edgebrook and Forest Glen, and then between Healy and Western.

By the way, I'm guessing the WSOR engines didn't push all the way into Union Station; those freight cars probably would have fouled a bunch of switches off the platforms. So where did the WSOR split off from the Metra train?
 #750685  by JohnD1

I'm guessing the WSOR engines didn't push all the way into Union Station
Uhh..they were going WESTBOUND? Like it said on the YouTube site.
 #750686  by doepack

Batman2 wrote:By the way, I'm guessing the WSOR engines didn't push all the way into Union Station; those freight cars probably would have fouled a bunch of switches off the platforms. So where did the WSOR split off from the Metra train?
The WSOR units were assisting 2625, which is an outbound run, so they were headed west, not east. The freight cut off at Fox Lake, and I'm guessing that the freight had to continue to push 2625 west past the Fox Lake depot until it cleared the west end of the coach yard lead. Then it shoved east through the yard, coming out of the east end (after it dropped off disabled 2625's equipment in the yard), then highballed west to Janesville after clearing the east end of the coach yard lead. Again just speculation, don't know if the scenario actually played out like that, but on strange moves like that, it's fun to guess... :-D
 #750761  by Batman2

doepack wrote:
Batman2 wrote:By the way, I'm guessing the WSOR engines didn't push all the way into Union Station; those freight cars probably would have fouled a bunch of switches off the platforms. So where did the WSOR split off from the Metra train?
The WSOR units were assisting 2625, which is an outbound run, so they were headed west, not east. The freight cut off at Fox Lake, and I'm guessing that the freight had to continue to push 2625 west past the Fox Lake depot until it cleared the west end of the coach yard lead. Then it shoved east through the yard, coming out of the east end (after it dropped off disabled 2625's equipment in the yard), then highballed west to Janesville after clearing the east end of the coach yard lead. Again just speculation, don't know if the scenario actually played out like that, but on strange moves like that, it's fun to guess... :-D
I misunderstood the whole thing. So the sequence of events was like this:
1. Metra 2625 departs Union Station northbound as scheduled.
2. Near the North Glenview Station, the train's alternator breaks down
3. WSOR 4002, which happens to be nearby (which direction was it initially headed?) couples up with Metra 2626.
4. After the Metra 2625/WSOR 4002 combo reaches Fox Lake, WSOR breaks off and continues on its merry way.

When I first read this I thought it had been the engine from 2625 blowing its alternator late in its previous inbound run, and then calling in WSOR 4002 for the assist from Union Station or near there so they wouldn't have to send an extra locomotive out to replace the original. But that wouldn't have made a lot of sense anyways.
 #751044  by doepack

Batman2 wrote:3. WSOR 4002, which happens to be nearby (which direction was it initially headed?)
4002 was assigned to the nightly WSOR run from Clearing yard to Janesville, and was heading north. As I understand it, it usually waits for one of the evening outbound Metra runs to get out of the way somewhere around Cragin or A5 before heading up the C&M. So yes, 4002 was "in the neighborhood" to lend a hand (or horsepower, more accurately)...