• Is this a joke? Storing bikes on Chicago trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Here's the scoop from METRA, which appears roundly to be that in place on Metrolink, based upon Mr. Pennsy's report.

http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/util ... rains.html

Obviously to convert a fleet of Amtrak Coaches simply to accommodate bicycles would result in the removal of probably six revenue seats. The latest METRA cars are required to have an area otherwise free of seats for ADA compliance. Absent qualifying ADA passengers, this space is simply 'wasted". METRA Conductors are empowered to "put off" the bicycles, and their riders (without prejudice of course), should that space be needed for ADA qualified passengers.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by CarterB

Bikes have been allowed on most trains, subways and suburban lines in Europe for years. The folks there are used to how to board them and keep them out of the way.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

CarterB wrote:Bikes have been allowed on most trains, subways and suburban lines in Europe for years. The folks there are used to how to board them and keep them out of the way.
Europe is far more densely populated and bicycles might represent a far more viable form of transport - although with increasing affluence, there has been a shift in recent decades towards motorized personal transport.

In the United States, it seems that there is a small "lifestyle" community of bicycle enthusiasts, recognizable by their spandex apparel and very expensive bicycles - sometimes costing several thousand dollars. Like other "lifestyle" communities, this a small but vocal minority, with political influence beyond their numbers.

As far as I'm concerned, there need to be more trains with checked baggage service, and if the "bicycle lobby" can achieve an increase in checked baggage service, I feel it will benefit all passenger rail users. However, I don't see any justification for bicycles taking up space in overhead baggage racks, or displacing rows of revenue seating. Outside of a few urban areas, and a few very narrow occupations, there is no pressing societal need to accommodate bicycles on passenger trains, except as checked baggage.
  by goodnightjohnwayne

matthewsaggie wrote:Ill. needs to come visit us here in NC. Here is the bike arrangement on the Piedmont trains:

http://www.bytrain.org/passenger/bikesonboard.html
This seems like a very sensible arrangement, involving a very sensible combination baggage-coach? If the state of Illinois wants to pursue a bicycle mandate for passenger rail, they should fund the purchase of suitable rolling stock to properly accommodate bicycles as checked baggage.
  by pennsy

I have seen bikes on the Los Angeles subway, the Red Line. Spoke with a bike owner and he told me that bikes are permitted on the subway only during non-rush hours, and a permit has to be issued to the owner. The owner has to stay with the bike.
  by Galls

goodnightjohnwayne wrote:
CarterB wrote:Bikes have been allowed on most trains, subways and suburban lines in Europe for years. The folks there are used to how to board them and keep them out of the way.
Europe is far more densely populated and bicycles might represent a far more viable form of transport - although with increasing affluence, there has been a shift in recent decades towards motorized personal transport.

In the United States, it seems that there is a small "lifestyle" community of bicycle enthusiasts, recognizable by their spandex apparel and very expensive bicycles - sometimes costing several thousand dollars. Like other "lifestyle" communities, this a small but vocal minority, with political influence beyond their numbers.

As far as I'm concerned, there need to be more trains with checked baggage service, and if the "bicycle lobby" can achieve an increase in checked baggage service, I feel it will benefit all passenger rail users. However, I don't see any justification for bicycles taking up space in overhead baggage racks, or displacing rows of revenue seating. Outside of a few urban areas, and a few very narrow occupations, there is no pressing societal need to accommodate bicycles on passenger trains, except as checked baggage.
I did not know I had spandex, an expensive bicycle, nor political influence! These are some fantastic benefits to being the fastest, cheapest and most efficient commuter on the road I guess?
  by ne plus ultra

Galls wrote:
goodnightjohnwayne wrote:

I did not know I had spandex, an expensive bicycle, nor political influence! These are some fantastic benefits to being the fastest, cheapest and most efficient commuter on the road I guess?
Pretty funny, huh? A guy who no doubt would never bat an eye at asking the government to subsidize his parking space near the train station thinks you're a privileged "lifestyle community" whatever the hell that is because you'd like Amtrak to give you the privilege of paying extra to use the baggage rack for your kind of baggage.

Some people go through life with blinders so close to their eyes it's hard to figure how they can walk.
  by CarterB

goodnightjohnwayne wrote: Europe is far more densely populated and bicycles might represent a far more viable form of transport - although with increasing affluence, there has been a shift in recent decades towards motorized personal transport.

I have traveled to Europe every year, for over 20 straight years. I certainly don't see any "...shift in recent decades towards motorized personal transport." If anything, I have seen a quantum leap in use of bicycles, on the streets, bike paths, and specially on subways, commuter lines and intercity trains. Were Americans more able to transport their bikes to/from/in urban areas on urban/suburban transport, there would be one hell of a lot less auto traffic to contend with.
  by Vincent

When Amtrak announced that they were looking to buy a new fleet of baggage cars for the LD trains I sent them an e-mail asking that the new equipment be designed with "roll-on/roll-off" capacity for bicycles, like we have on the Talgos. I'm sure that if Amtrak ever gets around to designing new corridor equipment it will be possible to design a bike storage area without too many sacrifices.
  by jobtraklite

I did not intend to start a religious/philosophical discussion; but I love it.

Every time a subject like this comes up (I'm not talking about this forum), whether it is bicycle space on Amtrak, rapid transit up the I 70 corridor from Denver to the mountains, banning cars in Zion National Park canyon in favor of a shuttle service, or the Katy Trail across Missouri, there seems to be three distinct responses: a tiny fraction can't wait for it to happen; a slightly larger group thinks it would be nice, but it would never work; and the vast majority acts like it would be the end of life as we know it, some kind of commie-pinko plot.
  by David Benton

it is an interesting phemomen alright .people somehow think if a new rail service is provided , they will somehow be forced to use it . But if you point out that they currently have no other feasible transport option except the private auto , they have no idea what your talking about . somehow , having to drive everywhere is "been free " , having public transport as an option is impinging on that freedom .