• Is this a joke? Storing bikes on Chicago trains

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jobtraklite

The above is a copy of the slip of paper the the GBB (Galesburg, IL) station agent handed me as I was having my tickets, including a bicycle ticket, printed for #383 (outbound Illinois Zephyr). He said he just wanted to warn me, although he doubted the conductor would enforce this (he turned out to be correct). About all he knew about it was that it "came from Chicago".

Item 3 is the problem (the rest is long-time standard stuff). First of all can you picture someone trying to wrestle a bicycle, luggage, and a loose wheel onto a Horizon coach? Secondly, you now have a two-pronged sword, instead of a rubber tire on the front end of the bike. Besides being less stable, it could be dangerous. Removing the pedals is less problematic; but makes for extra work. I had not thought of it; but I'll admit turning the handle bars might be a good idea for boarding, stowing it, and de-training; and it's easy to do.

This was the third strange experience recently after many years of trouble free bike carriage on the IZ. In June, the conductor was adamant that my bike wouldn't be allowed on board UNLESS there was room (I think he was concerned that there was a Cub's-Cardinals game that day). The statement was ludicrous not only because I had reserved and paid for a space, but he knew there would be plenty of space because I was boarding at the originating station and the train fills as it gets closer to Chicago. What was he going to do, throw my bike off at Kewanee if it filled up? I called Amtrak Customer Service, and the agent agreed that the conductor was out of line.

In August a different conductor told my wife and I to remove the handlebars and put our bikes (one a folding bike) in the overhead luggage rack. When I showed the conductor a copy of the policy that clearly states "You may not store bikes in overhead racks.", the response was "That's only for folding bikes". Since I was quoting from a section of the policy dealing with folders, she had me there. So I stowed both the regular and folding bike in the overhead rack. Even the new Chicago mandate doesn't require removing the handlebars.
ImageResting comfortably in the overhead rack.

I attributed the first two episodes to inexperienced crews; the old timers have always been very accommodating and have not come up with any new brilliant ideas. But the policy out of Chicago make me wonder. It's my understanding that the Illinois Corridor trains carry bicycles because the state, who fund the trains, says they do. Is this some manager attempting an end run?
  by David Benton

I carried my bike on amtrak several times ( probably 30 trips ) back in the 90's . i had a bike bag , and would do all the things listed to get it in the bag . The biggest problem is removing the rear wheel makes the derallieur very vulnerable . indeed , mine was damaged on the very first amtrak trip , La to Fullerton !. After that i had no more damage , on amtrak , Greyhound , or airlines in a round the world trip . maybe just bad luck , or maybe it got thrown around cos of the short distance .

But i don't think the requirements are unreasonable , though it would be better if they had some space for bikes without having to dismantle them . On British rail , they had a couple of fold up seats , with a bike rack behind it , if a bike was booked for the journey then these seats wernt sold . in practice the bikes usually ended up leaning against a seat for the shorter journeys .
  by EricL

I was never a big fan of this half-ass bicycle carryon arrangement that goes on with the Illinois trains. You're probably right that the state demanded it upon pressure from riders/constituents. But since Amtrak is too cheap to have any sort of dedicated equipment/apparatus for properly stowing bikes, you get to pay extra $$ for the "privilege" of disassembling your bike, carrying it along with your other stuff up those stupid narrow stairs, and wrangling it above your head into a dirty, crowded baggage rack. Granted, it's still better than paying the bike box fees and checking your bike on the one LD train your route offers. But anyone who's ridden one of these trains during a busy season knows that folks' ridiculously large carryons take up not only the entire overhead rack, but also the end of car racks, wheelchair spaces, and even open seats. I've seen bikes on such trains, having no other option, being stored in the rear vestibule, where they are exposed to the elements and are in (admittedly minimal) danger of simply falling out. This is why I don't like the policy - Amtrak really has no right charging money if they're not going to at least install some bike racks someplace. It's basically free money while the employees and passengers have to sort out all the details.

All ranting aside, I'd recommend that you do the disassembly ahead of time, and attach your loose wheel(s) to the frame using a few bungee cords. I've seen folks do this, and it seems to make boarding and storage easier and safer.
  by jobtraklite

To EricL

Actually I was complaining about the new policy, which thankfully wasn't enforced the time I was given the slip of paper. I've used the service many times for many years with no problem; and haven't experienced what you are describing. I still don't see the logic of removing the wheel. I would venture a guess the the person who come up with this idea is not a bike rider.

When the service was first instituted in the early 90's, the most common place to put them was the front vestibule of the first car or rear vestibule of the last car. I still like that the best. It's the easiest, it's out of every body's way, you can bungee or lock it to the rail, and I never thought of it as exposed to the elements. Normally, I'm starting out or returning from a long distance tour, so I have to expect a little rain.

As you say, it would be nice to have dedicated bike space like California. But frankly, in my many trips on the Illinois Zephyr, I've only seen one bicycle that didn't belong to someone traveling with me. Bottom line: since I don't go anywhere without a bike, I'm just thankful for the service.
  by justalurker66

Removing the front wheel shortens the height of the bicycle making it fit (bottom of fork to top of turned handlebars) easier in the space provided.
  by JimBoylan

Removing the front wheel AND turning the handlebars makes the bike thinner. Doing one without the other doesn't help much. Removing the pedals also makes it thinner.
  by AMTKHawkeye

When the service was first instituted in the early 90's, the most common place to put them was the front vestibule of the first car or rear vestibule of the last car.
Amtrak cannot legally continue/resume this practice of using the end vestibules, as any objects stored there could potentially hinder evacuations in the event of an emergency. The FRA has been very strict on this policy in recent years.
  by jobtraklite

"Removing the front wheel shortens the height of the bicycle"

I'm not sure shortening the height of the front of the bike will help much. However, now that you mention it, it would shorten the length, which would help when you are asked to put it in front of the first seat, preventing it from sticking out into the aisle.

Removing the front wheel AND turning the handlebars makes the bike thinner.
Making the bike thinner would help if you are asked to put it in the open space along the wall at the end of the car. It wouldn't buy you anything in the scenario I mentioned above. I still would rather remove the wheel or turn the handlebars on board once I see it would help.

"Amtrak cannot legally continue/resume this practice of using the end vestibules, as any objects stored there could potentially hinder evacuations in the event of an emergency."

I figured as much. How about in a cabbage?
  by David Benton

in an emerggcency you would open the door and throw the bike out , no problem . i guess if the outside doors were jammed shut , the bike may hinder movement between carriages .
  by Tadman

This appears to be the hazards of running a passenger train under government auspices. I bet if the trains were privately run this would be a non-issue. Of course, we'll never see privately-run passenger trains again.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Isn't more to the point, Mr. Dunville, a bunch of reg-quoting zealots?

They'd be there at the FRA, even had private passenger operations continued.
  by SimplySam

May I suggest something called a "baggage car"?

Short of that perhaps removing several sets of seats in certain cars and installing racks. The MBTA in Boston did this in at least 1 coach, which is assigned to certain trains on the "bike friendly" north shore.
  by ST214

Here on the MBTA, there are two bike cars....one for the Rockport line(which becomes the Ski car for the Fitchburg line during the winter) and one for the Greenbush line. Outside of those, the bike's hang out right inside the coach, as every car has a small open area at each end. I am unsure of the arrangement of a Amtrak Horizon car, so i am unsure if this empty space exists.
SimplySam wrote:May I suggest something called a "baggage car"?

Short of that perhaps removing several sets of seats in certain cars and installing racks. The MBTA in Boston did this in at least 1 coach, which is assigned to certain trains on the "bike friendly" north shore.
  by pennsy

Metrolink allows you to take your bike on board and tie it down in the area reserved for wheel chairs. Naturally the presence of a wheel chair takes precedence and you would have to find a space on another car. Each car has a space for two wheel chairs or two bikes. The bikes are simply chained or tied to the side of the car. Disassembly is not required.