Railroad Forums 

• ATSF Two-tone Grey Passenger Cars?

• For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
For discussion about the historical operations and preservation of the ATSF, more commonly known as the "Sante Fe", before its merger with Burlington Northern in 1996.
 #6132  by petey

I have just acquired a set of two-tone grey SF passenger cars. Are these Pullman leases? Where were the grey cars used?
Thanks.

#6895  by bones

Those were Pullman Leases. I believe they were run-through cars with the NYC which would explain the color.
 #7233  by John_Perkowski

Valley series 6-6-4 cars (Plan 4099, lot 6699) built in 1942 were TTG, since they could not be finished with Stainless steel (already a WWII controlled commodity). They had a Cor-Ten (tm) skin.

You will find pictures of some of them post-war with shadowlining paint (imitation stainless fluting). One of those shots is in Dubin's Pullman Paint/Lettering book.

#7355  by txbritt

I think there are only three valley series passenger cars left in existence. The Verde Valley is located at the Gulf Coast Railroad Museum, and can be seen at this site...

http://www.kingswayrc.com/gcst

TxBritt
 #7603  by John_Perkowski

We just had a conversation about the Valley Series on another, specialized passenger list.

Valley series cars, in 1959, had assignments to the Chief, the San Francisco Chief, and the Grand Canyon.

Their peer cars (American and National Series 6-6-4 and 6-4-6) ran throughout America, sometimes on the Limiteds (eg City of Saint Louis/Portland/LA (see Kratville, UP streamliners), as well as second and third tier trains, all the way down to the mail&express runs.