Railroad Forums 

• OT-OT? Wine that has "lost its fruit" in transit

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#712076  by FormD

The subject of shipping wine by rail caught my attention. I baught a bottle of 1997 Pino Grigio from the discount bin from my local liquer store and was warned that the wine might have "lost its fruit". Having never met a bottle of wine that I did not like "cept' Merlot that has been heavely oxidized what is he talking about. If wine is kept a room temputure or below what could go wrong? As for shipping wine & beer by rail I could see were this is one product that cant be alowed to freeze. So how do you keep a reefer warm?
 #712484  by RailKevin

The term "reefer" is a misnomer. Rail cars and truck trailers that are equipped with temperature control units are called "reefers." The units can heat and cool, thus keeping the interior at a constant temperature despite the outside temperature.
 #712486  by D.Carleton

"Lost its fruit" is a wine tasting term indicating the product has lost or is loosing its fruit flavor during the aging process. This is also referred to as "dried out". Shipping should have no effect on this.
 #712490  by 2nd trick op

Some of us might find it hard to believe, but during the years when the railroads dominated the long-distance market for just about any sort of lading, a couple of California vinters did ship wine to the East Coast in bulk, with tank cars having up to six compartments and domes. Here's the proof:

http://www.oerm.org/images/GATX%20tank%20453%20sm.JPG

Ash to the quality of the product, I would not care to shpeculate at thish time, (hiccup) :-D

* "Night Train" was listed in Pennsylvania state liquor store price lists as a "wine specialty" ... same as Thunderbird and Ripple. It's a safe bet that no one bought it to savor the bouquet.
Last edited by 2nd trick op on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #712496  by 3rdrail

The California Wine Association shuttled their product from member vineyards to the railroads, using electric motors.
Wine has a "maturity" which is a precise match of sugar and acid. At maturity, it is what the winery ideally wants it's product to taste like. "Lost it's fruit" denotes a period at or after maturity when this ratio chemically changes, thereby altering it's particular ideal taste sensation. This can be caused by improper shipment. If a shipment is exposed to heat or cold, this process can occur. There are cases on record where wine has been left in freight cars in a yard to spoil, or in some cases where a shipper has neglected to ship properly. Not a great thing when you sit down for a nice filet mignon with what you thought was a nice Merlot only to find that you have a bottle of vinegar ! Rare, but it has happened. :(
 #713391  by slchub

When I was still working for the UP I would peruse the train list to see what was being carried on my train and on the QFRNPP the list always showed wine. I left the UP in 2007 and doubt that has changed much.

It looks like the UP still has that service:

http://www.uprr.com/customers/ag-prod/e ... ndex.shtml

Produce Railexpress
and Express Lane are UP’s premium perishables service offerings.
Produce Railexpress carries fresh produce from the West Coast
to New York. Express Lane moves dairy products, canned goods,
wine, frozen foods and some fresh produce from the West
Coast to destinations in the East and Southeast.

Insulated Interior
This boxcar type allows additional protection from temperature extremes. Insulated boxcars
are popular with wine, liquor, beer and grocery shippers.

Bailey Yard's goods tell the story of American commerce, for through here pass refrigerators, TVs, coal, automobiles, potatoes, fruit, wine, lumber, corn, sugar, steel, chemicals and hundreds of other commodities used every day. As goes Bailey Yard, so goes the nation, for it is an economic barometer of America.
 #726304  by HoggerKen

2nd trick op wrote: Ash to the quality of the product, I would not care to shpeculate at thish time, (hiccup) :-D

* "Night Train" was listed in Pennsylvania state liquor store price lists as a "wine specialty" ... same as Thunderbird and Ripple. It's a safe bet that no one bought it to savor the bouquet.

I think you are referring to these: http://www.bumwine.com/ .
Known as "liquid crack," for its reputation for wreaking more mental havoc than the cheapest tequila. Something in this syrupy hooch seems to have a synapse-blasting effect not unlike low-grade cocaine.
You will have to agree the only bouquet on a brand such as Cisco Red, is the one you wake up with after consuming a 750ml bottle.

Bon appitite!
 #726336  by 3rdrail

HoggerKen wrote: You will have to agree the only bouquet on a brand such as Cisco Red, is the one you wake up with after consuming a 750ml bottle.
I take exception to the fact that you say that Cisco Red has no "bouquet". What's this nonsense about wine "losing it's fruit" ? Why, after my 4th bottle, they all smell the same anyway - even Aqua Velva !
 #726365  by HoggerKen

3rdrail wrote:
I take exception to the fact that you say that Cisco Red has no "bouquet". What's this nonsense about wine "losing it's fruit" ? Why, after my 4th bottle, they all smell the same anyway - even Aqua Velva !
Problem is, Cisco Red does not have any fruit to it. Or at least as much as Thunderbird.
 #726916  by alchemist

Haven't seen this "vintage" lately, but the label used to have a pretty good image of the Casey Jones locomotive on it. I once bought a bottle to use as a door prize at a modeling event. The neighborhood wine stores didn't deal with the like of Night Train Express and Ripple so I had to move a couple of steps downscale to find it. Was amused when the clerk asked me if I wanted it chilled. :-D
 #726998  by ExCon90

Some years ago a group of us in the office decided to buy a bottle of Night Train as a gag birthday gift for the boss (who was a railfan). The guy who went to the liquor store (in coat and tie) said when he came back with the bottle, "the clerk looked at me kind of funny and said 'you don't look like the type'".
 #726999  by 2nd trick op

It's been over thirty years since I've encountered a Night Train bottle, stitting on a step next to a place in Newark where I was temporarily lodged. The label I recall from those days had a head-on depiction of a steam loco with a headlight mounted on the top of the smokebox, but I don't recall whether a Belpaire firebox, which would have pretty well identified a K-4 as the inspiration, was pictured. We appear to have moved further west, and in the direction of Lima power.
 #727130  by HoggerKen

2nd trick op wrote:It's been over thirty years since I've encountered a Night Train bottle, stitting on a step next to a place in Newark where I was temporarily lodged. The label I recall from those days had a head-on depiction of a steam loco with a headlight mounted on the top of the smokebox, but I don't recall whether a Belpaire firebox, which would have pretty well identified a K-4 as the inspiration, was pictured. We appear to have moved further west, and in the direction of Lima power.
By the time you finished a bottle, it probably looked more like an FT.