Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Chicagopcclcars

buddah wrote:
Hello dave a few points I must address in your comment.....

1) Yes a part ( a very SHORT part, 1400 feet roughly ) of it was torn down because no use was need for it to be extended that far down 63rd st at the time. the CTA did not completely get rid of east 63rd. St routing because it does serve a purpose and community making it a valuable asset just one that is under utilized because of its current limitations.

2)The City of Chicago is willing to build anything even this previously removed 1400 feet of track and structure, if it can benefit the City and the funding is there. Stimulus money would be accepted with open arms.
In addition to geography, there is also a major deficit in your posting in mathematics. A block is 660 ft long. Your 1400 ft would be approximately two blocks. WRONG. The city dismantled the "L" structure from about 200 ft east of Cottage Grove AV (800 E.) to just past Dorchester AV (1400 E.) That means the city dismantled 6 blocks of elevated (6 X 660ft = 3960ft). Do your homework.

David Harrison
  by neroden

Tadman wrote:To second above comments, you won't see CTA come back along 63rd street. The locals and the local church don't like it. Everybody I've heard thinks they're nuts because public transit is good in places experiencing economic difficulties, like E 63rd has been for quite a few years. You don't see cops in bullet-proof vests for fashion reasons.
Actually, from what I've read -- namely, the local community newspapers from the period -- the locals strongly supported it. My grandmother was involved in supporting it.

There was one very vocal, well-connected, and moneyed local church leader who wanted it torn down. He got want he wanted. Doesn't mean anyone else agreed with him.
  by Tadman

Such is Chicago... Neroden, you might be 100% correct. All I know is somebody didn't like the L. I forgot that in our wonderful city, cronyism talks and votes walk...
  by fauxcelt

Yes, do not forget that this is in the great state of Illinois where you can buy U.S. Senate seats if you have enough money and know the "right" people.
  by buddah

Chicagopcclcars wrote: In addition to geography, there is also a major deficit in your posting in mathematics. A block is 660 ft long. Your 1400 ft would be approximately two blocks. WRONG. The city dismantled the "L" structure from about 200 ft east of Cottage Grove AV (800 E.) to just past Dorchester AV (1400 E.) That means the city dismantled 6 blocks of elevated (6 X 660ft = 3960ft). Do your homework.
David Harrison
David anyone with common logic as you have show you did not use would have seen I meant 1400 meters of track as a rough estimate not feet. please think logically before u answer or reply and understand that ur statements are viewed by other members... It seems you are a younger member so just remember address members as you would like to be addressed yourself.

and fact are fact. you may say there are none as a study has not been done I agree with you on that, but which do you think by just using common logic is a cheaper alternative ? just in the miles of trackage alone my idea works out to be more affordable. As building goes for the CTA are they not in discussion on extending the red line and orange line? I see this as a bigger priority if the Olympics are to be held in Chicago in 2016.

Also fauxcelt and neroden are right, I do know the story and history behind the dismantlement the community wanted it, but money and politics talk. One of my grandfathers lived in that area for over 40 yrs in the same house just 1 block from the line and he used it when he could no longer drive. he passed away 3 yrs ago.
  by byte

buddah wrote: please think logically before u answer or reply and understand that ur statements are viewed by other members... It seems you are a younger member so just remember address members as you would like to be addressed yourself.
I'm going to refrain from revealing too much about Mr. Harrison that he may wish to do himself, but this assertion that David a child is incorrect. Children do not provide technical narration on train tours over the CTA system.
  by JamesT4

MODERATOR NOTE!

Lets keep it about the topic, and not bash others, everybody is entitled to there opinions

If it happens again this topic will be locked.
  by Chicagopcclcars

First, thanks to the moderator for your reminder to "stay on topic."

Secondly, to Buddah, I am sorry I did not realize that you intended to say 1400 meters after you wrote "1400 feet" not once, but twice. But who in the USA uses metrics for linear measures, LOL. I was a teacher during the Federal failure to try and change us from the traditional to the metric system. I also participated actively in the grass roots struggle to try and keep the east 63rd street "L", including writing a byline in the Daily Defender, attending meetings, and speaking before the hearings held by the CTA. I even participated in a tele-conference with the Secretary of Transportation. The one thing that did come from that struggle was that there was no simple definition of "community."

The two ministers with the backing of the University won their cause with the "L" demolition. The Federal government imposed a penalty that if the unused steel from the Dorchester station was not saved, Federal monies must be returned. The steel was saved and most of it still sits on the ground next to the 61st street "L" yard today. A small amount was reused for the Roosevelt RD crossing on the Pink line.

My other previous statements still stand. A third rail powered transit line can not be constructed within the City of Chicago. The Pink and the Brown line tracks used today were constructed before the area was annexed into the city (Pink line) or was undeveloped with no streets (Brown line).

It seems the biggest complaint of Metra South Chicago riders is paying another fare on the CTA to finish their ride. Are some suggesting the CTA take over this branch to solve that problem and would they do better to simply fight for a universal fare system that would include a joint fare. Face it, there is nothing compatible between the Metra Electric operations and CTA's heavy rail transit. Bad idea in my opinion.

David Harrison