Railroad Forums 

• Kudos to SEPTA - new route 100 schedule

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#70998  by sccaflagger74

It's not often that SEPTA is given a good word lately so I thought I would mention that the new schedule on the 100 worked well for me this morning. I took SEPTA to avoid holiday traffic on my drive to/from work today and the first half of the trip was great. I caught the 8 AM Norristown Limited and saved about 10 minutes from the all local schedule of the early fall.

The transfer from the Sharon Hill trolley gave me about 6 minutes to connect. The waiting rt 100 car looked to have almost all seats occupied, with no standees. The waiting Hughes Park limited next to us had a big crowd on the platform waiting to board, my guess is there would be standees on that car. We stopped at Ardmore Jct and discharged 1 passenger, then about 10 got off at Radnor, next stop was Gulph Mills where about 20 of us got off. The only glitch was that my company's shuttle wasn't there when we arrived as it usually is requiring a 3 or 4 minute wait.

Overall the trip took only about 5 minutes longer door-to-cubicle than driving. Cost for tokens/cash fare is more expensive than driving (gas only, not including wear and tear in this simplistic analysis) but for occasional use it is worth it. No need to rehash the SEPTA pass algebra discussion here.

Hopefully the trip home is just as good. At least I won't have to deal with the Blue Route or the traffic on the back route.

Regards,

Bob

#71400  by jfrey40535

Its ashame there isnt more rail corridors in Delaware County because the traffic in that area is horrible. I don't know how people who live out there deal with it...476/276/76, its all bad. Rt 100 is one of the great lines that seems to be issue free as far as performance is concerned. It would be nice if it ran more often or with 2 cars so everyone could get a seat and a comfortable ride. But I'll stand on that anyday over sitting on the Blue Route.

#71540  by JeffK

jfrey40535 wrote:Its a shame there aren't [isnt] more rail corridors in Delaware County because the traffic in that area is horrible. I don't know how people who live out there deal with it...476/276/76, its all bad. Rt 100 is one of the great lines that seems to be issue free as far as performance is concerned. It would be nice if it ran more often or with 2 cars so everyone could get a seat and a comfortable ride. But I'll stand on that any day [anyday] over sitting on the Blue Route.
AMEN. That's why the P&W remains my favorite line despite SEPTA's best efforts to run it like a bus on rails.

You should have taken it in the Red Arrow Bullet days. Some end-to-end runs were under 20 minutes. Gus Clark, the dispatcher, would make sure that if a car was supposed to go out at ten minutes after the hour, it went out at TEN, not eleven or twelve or whenever people felt like it. The parking lots were full by 7:30 a.m. because everyone from salesclerks to business executives took the P&W. Heat, rain, snow, whatever, the cars got through it all.

What a ride!