Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

I don't understand your statement, byte. All the cars are able to be individually operated both forward and backward. Since they have a cab at one end only, though, they are normally run in pairs with the "blind" ends coupled.
  by byte

I think I misread the previous posts ... what I was referring to is the practice of permanently facing even-numbered cars one direction and the odd ones the other. Something to do with the MU hookups and such.
  by justalurker66

byte wrote:I think I misread the previous posts ... what I was referring to is the practice of permanently facing even-numbered cars one direction and the odd ones the other. Something to do with the MU hookups and such.
The South Shore typically keeps the same side of their cars facing south (west in Chicago) ... the restrooms are on the north / east side (I'll ignore the South Bend loop up to the airport). On the trailers the missing window where the restroom would be is on the north / east side. And unless I've observed wrong, the South Shore's 10 single cab cars (101-110) are actually five with east cabs and five with west cabs with more windows on the south side of the cars. ("Even" are cab west, there are no steps on the cab end of the door ... but unlike the trailers there are center doors.)

The new cars (301-314) are basically 14 identical units. They are paired up "back to back" and cab to cab.

I did find a picture of the inside of 314 ...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1579553
  by MikeF

You're correct on your observations about the 100 series cars, justalurker66. There are eight windows on the north side of the cars and nine on the south side.

The west end of all the single-level motor cars (1-48 and 101-110) is designated the F end; the east end is the B end. The even-numbered 100 series cars have the cab at the F (west) end; the odd-numbered 100-series cars have the cab at the B (east) end. Of course, the 1-48 series cars have cabs at both ends.

The 300 series cars are just the opposite of the 100 series. The east end of all cars is designated the F end and the west end is the B end. Even-numbered 300 series cars have the cab on the F (east) end; odd-numbered cars have the cab on the B (west) end.
  by justalurker66

MikeF wrote:The 300 series cars are just the opposite of the 100 series. The east end of all cars is designated the F end and the west end is the B end. Even-numbered 300 series cars have the cab on the F (east) end; odd-numbered cars have the cab on the B (west) end.
???

The pictures I've taken and seen have an "F" decal on the west end of the 300 series cars.
  by MikeF

I stand corrected; the 300 series cars follow the same pattern as the 100 series.

If I recall correctly (and I probably do not), at least some of the 300 series cars were delivered with the front end facing east and made some test runs that way, but they obviously have been wyed since then.
  by dinwitty

protocol... heh.

When you set up MUing, do you have to set up certain controls so the cars move in the correct direction?

The F/B situation is done also for B units like F7B units so you can determine its "forward" or "backward" situation. B units do have controls in them so thay can be moved independently when needed. Just no comfy chairs...
  by PRRGuy

Yes, Mike, we did have to go out to Bailly and wye a few of the 300 series cars with the 1000 to get them all facing the correct directions.

Ryan
  by justalurker66

I saw 306 and 309 leading the gallery trains today (116 and 109 respectively). I didn't catch the other car numbers.
I was wondering if the cars were going to get rotated through in revenue service before the runs next week.

I also got a peak inside the cab from the platform at Hammond ... looks like there is a lot of room in there.
  by dinwitty

I think they are set on specific runs and their not on rush hours but who knows what happens when demands need...

there can always be those extras and 2nd sections...
  by doepack

Question for JB (or anyone else who may know): Did they rotate crews through assignments on the first revenue trips for training purposes, or was there a crew regularly assigned per seniority selection? TIA. Also glad to hear of the overall positive reception these cars along with the new schedule are receiving...
  by jb9152

doepack wrote:Question for JB (or anyone else who may know): Did they rotate crews through assignments on the first revenue trips for training purposes, or was there a crew regularly assigned per seniority selection? TIA. Also glad to hear of the overall positive reception these cars along with the new schedule are receiving...
The crews are and were regularly assigned by their run picks (which are doled out by seniority), *however*, other crew members not currently assigned to gallery car runs were also (and continue to be) brought in selectively to work the trains alongside "mentors" to show them how to operate the cars. Engineers operating the cars for the first time were accompanied by a qualified trainmaster/SLE for their first 3 to 4 trips, until they developed a level of comfort with the new controls, and the "feel" of the cars.
  by justalurker66

jb9152 wrote:The crews are and were regularly assigned by their run picks (which are doled out by seniority), *however*, other crew members not currently assigned to gallery car runs were also (and continue to be) brought in selectively to work the trains alongside "mentors" to show them how to operate the cars. Engineers operating the cars for the first time were accompanied by a qualified trainmaster/SLE for their first 3 to 4 trips, until they developed a level of comfort with the new controls, and the "feel" of the cars.
I saw in the old board minutes where the purchase of a simulator for the 100's and 300's was approved. Is that in place?
  by jb9152

justalurker66 wrote:I saw in the old board minutes where the purchase of a simulator for the 100's and 300's was approved. Is that in place?
Yes, those are installed at the Operations Control Center in Michigan City. Final acceptance testing is occurring over the next month or so.
  by justalurker66

Thanks to Kyle (MetraRI) for the find here is a nice animation of the inside of a Metra gallery car.
metraRI wrote:Granted not a diagram, found this pretty cool rendering of the new highliners on MED. Something to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klizpm-z ... re=related