Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#657450  by jb9152

ohioriverrailway wrote:Very nice! What's the train crew opinion of the new equipment?
So far, so good. A few small modifications to be made to fit NICTD's operations, but otherwise they've been described as "Cadillacs".
 #657747  by buddah

Hers a question now that the new cars are in service can they be MU'd to the Metra ED new cars? I means were looking at the same builder, but were the specs changed enough to not allow them compatibility to the Metra ones. what about the cab area is it identical to the metra ones? So if they could in theory mix and match crews/engineers if needed. Im inclined to ask for if say Gary finally goes high level NICTD could borrow a few cars for short runs Chicago to Gary and back, no need for traps as all stations would be high level.
 #657769  by Tadman

What is the luggage rack configuration on the 300's? I know the off-peak tourist runs seem to be packed with luggage, and there's one lady conductor who has the ability to pack anything into a luggage rack.
 #657793  by jb9152

buddah wrote:Hers a question now that the new cars are in service can they be MU'd to the Metra ED new cars? I means were looking at the same builder, but were the specs changed enough to not allow them compatibility to the Metra ones. what about the cab area is it identical to the metra ones? So if they could in theory mix and match crews/engineers if needed. Im inclined to ask for if say Gary finally goes high level NICTD could borrow a few cars for short runs Chicago to Gary and back, no need for traps as all stations would be high level.
The cars are completely compatible, confirmed with a "couple and pull" test done the Sunday before NICTD started revenue service with the new equipment.

I don't know about borrowing cars right now - Metra doesn't have many themselves, and NICTD is not contemplating adding more service right now beyond the new round trip on weekdays.
 #657794  by jb9152

Tadman wrote:What is the luggage rack configuration on the 300's? I know the off-peak tourist runs seem to be packed with luggage, and there's one lady conductor who has the ability to pack anything into a luggage rack.
The lower-level luggage racks, in my opinion, are not great, but there is space between two seats flipped against one another to accommodate some pretty large bags. The upstairs gallery level has a luggage "tray" that hangs over the middle aisle, and that should be more than adequate for those riders.
 #658371  by superbad

I took a little road trip to my fam's place in MC today.. I got some pics on the way.. more like I chased it, which is almost impossible in the case of the south shore.. the pic's file size is too large to load on here
 #658431  by Tadman

You find the steeple cab?

Also, you can use MS Paint to downsize the image size and "save-as" a new file name. Or upload them to flickr and send us a link.
 #658980  by superbad

took a ride on the new cars yesterday.. they are nice and still have the new car smell.. the only thing I noted is that a lot of the people were challenged in using the flip-back seats..
 #659010  by dinwitty

Chicagopcclcars wrote:Can you stand at the front storm door? I remember years ago Metra Electric and the South Shore wouldn't permit that.

David Harrison
there are no issues looking out the rear door.
On the regular cars I prop/sit myself on the arm rests and look out.
Going into the vestibule is the nono forward running side.
 #659100  by jb9152

dinwitty wrote:
Chicagopcclcars wrote:Can you stand at the front storm door? I remember years ago Metra Electric and the South Shore wouldn't permit that.

David Harrison
there are no issues looking out the rear door.
On the regular cars I prop/sit myself on the arm rests and look out.
Going into the vestibule is the nono forward running side.
There are no vestibules on the forward cab running side of the new cars.
 #659182  by superbad

it would be really nice if those same flip-back seats could be gradually phased into the old fleet..and these flip back seats are by far more comfortable than metra's
 #659287  by Tadman

If there is one complaint i have about NICTD trains, it's the seat. It's a long ride to South Bend in those seats. I never understood why Metra had much better seats when their rides max at about one hour. The flip seats will be nice too.

I thought I heard the safety freaks at FRA outlawed flip-seats?