Railroad Forums 

• Line south of Strasburg Junction

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#685336  by ewh

Any information on the CSX (?) line south of Strasburg to Harrisonburg. It looks to be in great shape, but when I was in the Valley three weeks ago there seemed to be a string of empty pulpwood racks parked on the main line just north of Edinburg. I am interested in any information about current operations.
 #685363  by Bria138

I was up that way last fall up Route 11 and in Woodstock... I am pretty sure that is NS track there... Atleast we followed it right to NS track near Front Royal. I thought CSX just came down to Winchester on old B & O track out of Harpers Ferry, maps show the CSX line tie'n with NS lines around Strasburg. But Front Royal and all around that part of the Valley is NS track, down to Harrisonburg. Your right the track and grade crossings are in great shape but you can see the line is not used much. Also part of this line between Bowman and Edinburg is out of service but all track is still there in the need they had to use this line... Hope it helps...
 #685466  by RailVet

The track has been out of service for many years but fortunately not abandoned and torn up. A friend in the area recently noted NS is using it to store unused rail cars.
 #686253  by ewh

Now I see. Because NS, not CSX, owns the line, it really has no use other than for access to any local customers. The line north of Waynesboro is the one to watch. I caught a ninety car freight heading north at 50 mph when I was there. But, it's too bad railroads can't just stay in business by running through scenic areas.