Railroad Forums 

• DC and I-70 railfanning

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#647335  by The Lad

Hi All,

I plan to be flying into BWI from Ireland on my way to the Station Inn in Cresson PA this summer, which will involve flying into BWI, staying there overnight and then driving up there the next day via I-70, which gives me a full day to railfan the area and the Metro and Cumberland Subs. Up until around 10 or 11am, I plan to be around Seabrook on the NEC and then across to Gaithersburg, Harpers Ferry and then Hancock before turning north but these are just spots that would be well known to someone out of town. Are there any other locations which are worth seeing, maybe because of B&O signals or good angles etc.? It may be worthwhile to note that we'll be going up in the afternoon so any places with shade would be a bonus but not neccesary!

TK
 #647700  by gprimr1

You might find this resource interesting:

http://mtnsub.org/cumberland/c-r-ch01.html

Just beware that some of these locations may be remote, mountainous and difficult to access. Cell phones (if you have American ones or World Ones) don't work in some of the areas they describe so be prepared for anything and you'll probably have a great time.
 #648894  by The Lad

Greg, thanks for the info. I knew of the website but thought that it was a little of of date - some of the pages, it appeared, hadn't been updated since 2002. A good guide anyways though!

Tom
 #651499  by JMcDonald

Hi TK.

If you've got a car, depending on how much time you have, you may want to consider visiting St. Denis, which is at the junction of the Capitol Sub and the Old Main Line as they enter Baltimore. It's less than 4 miles from BWI airport so you practically have no excuse. ;-) Lucky for you most of the action is in the morning.

Enjoy, and if you find you also want to check out a couple places on the Capitol Sub on your way to DC before working west, let me know and I can offer some suggestions.

-James
 #652165  by njtmnrrbuff

If you are planning to railfan the Baltimore Area, you MUST have a car in many areas, particulately along the CSX Freight Lines. St. Dennis, I heard, is a good place, but the MARC service there is very spotty, as with most of the system.

The DC area, you can ride the Metro to various points in Alexandria and Crystal City to railfan CSX, Amtrak, and VRE(Weekdays Onlly)action on the former RF&P. You could even ride as far south as Springfield, on the Blue Line. I think Alexandra is better because just everything, in terms of passenger stops there. Both of WMATA's Blue and Yellow lines stop there. If you do choose to stop in DC, I would use the Metro as much as you can. You could even go as far north as Rockville, Md to see CSX. Rockville is also serviced by MARC's Brunswick and Frederick Lines, Amtrak's Capital Lmtd, and WMATA's Red Line. The name of the line passing through Rockville is the Metropolitan Sub. This is former B&O territory.
 #652242  by gprimr1

You need a car in Baltimore if only for your own safety in some of the areas the railroad passes through.

St. Dennis is a great place to rail fan. You get CSX and MARC on the weekdays (rush hour only). Beware of weekends and mid-day on weekdays when there may be track work. Photowise, north bounds in the AM and southbounds in the PM. MARC engines run north facing, so you will have to go in the AM to photograph them. A good place too is the Wye just south of Ravens stadium. You can get at it by taking Olsted st and making a right on Warner st. Study google maps. The area is industrial and ok in daytime, but be very careful because it the eastern leg of the wye can turn very bad very quick. Go no farther east than 395 bridge.

Here's an AM view at St. Denis http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=242139
 #652346  by njtmnrrbuff

Some of the areas that the railroads pass through in Balty, whether if it's Amtk, or CSX are very dangerous. BE CAREFUL, in West Balty. I probably wouldn't go to that section, period. I would probably also watch out in the part of Balty to the east of downtown. I have taken Amtrak through the Balty area many times, and from what I have seen, between when you pass beneath the 95s' overpasses and the tunnel that you go through before approaching Penn Station, those areas aren't that good.
 #652884  by gprimr1

It's a real shame at times. Sometimes I'm tempted to buy those run down homes by the tracks and open up air conditioned rail fan viewing rooms, with bathrooms, snacks, and safety.
 #653386  by The Lad

Hi All,
Sorry but I don’t visit this forum much and thought this topic was done :P . We also booked our flights this weekend. So, we’ll be arriving on the 23rd in BWI at 7.35pm, and straight to the Best Western on Dorsey Road near Elkridge (actually quite close to the Capitol Sub). The next day, it’s up at 5am, breakfast at Dennys and then on to Seabrook at about 6.45 to get the rushour. After that I’d plan to go west by 270, stopping at Point of Rocks, Harpers Ferry and Hancock before heading north to Cresson just before sunset. Bear in mind we also have the return trip to spend in the area during the evening of July 1st.

James:
I will be on the lookout on the Capitol Sub. Dorsey or St. Denis will definitely on our hit list.

Buff:
We will indeed have a car the day after we arrive to get to Seabrook and points west. If I’m honest though, I don’t think we’ll be making it south of the DC Beltway!

Greg:
That is sound advice. Don’t think we’ll be heading north of the area around Halethorpe/St. Denis.

Thanks,
TK