• Wrapped commuter train

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by GP40MC 1116

I also forgot to mention as I was getting off a 01700 Red Line Tran at Quincy Adams the other day, a inbound commuter rail train came through and I had a quick glance at that blur of blue as the wrapped coach was in the middle of the consist.
  by theinsider

paulrail wrote:...
The windows were clear and did not seem to have a wrap over them, like the Patriots cars did. In fact, I asked the conductor if it was a paint job or a wrap. He thought it was just a wrap. It was the only wrapped K car on the train. I thought it was a pretty clever idea and was done with good taste;..clean, simple and to the point. :wink:
The T stopped wrapping over the bus windows right after 9-11 as a safety factor according to a news paper article at the time. As far as safety it probably is not that big an issue on the CR, however most windows are so difficult to see out of anyway so why make it more difficult :-D
  by Veristek

I wonder how long the T will keep this car wrapped? I think they'll probably leave it on and forget it. I remember seeing the Greenbush Grand Opening decal on one of the F40's a couple months ago. I dunno if the decal is still on today, but if it is, we could be looking at the K car keeping its wrap until X-mas or so.

Besides I think that's a good thing anyway. More longer the wrap stays up, the more people see it, and more exposure.

On a side note, how does wrapped windows work? Can't people see through them like with sunglasses (you can see thru them but other people can't see your eyes)?
  by MBTA3247

Veristek wrote:On a side note, how does wrapped windows work? Can't people see through them like with sunglasses (you can see thru them but other people can't see your eyes)?
The material they put over the windows has a grid of small holes cut out of it, allowing passengers to see out (though not as clearly as without the wrap) and effectively blocking people from seeing in (unless they're right up against the window).
  by sery2831

Boston seems to be the only city that does not shrink wrap windows currently... On the CR fleet, the windows are so tinted I think it's pointless not to wrap over the windows!
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Veristek wrote:I wonder how long the T will keep this car wrapped? I think they'll probably leave it on and forget it. I remember seeing the Greenbush Grand Opening decal on one of the F40's a couple months ago. I dunno if the decal is still on today

that decal is still on the 1052 and it looks like it will be until weather and time ruin it
  by Veristek

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
Veristek wrote:I wonder how long the T will keep this car wrapped? I think they'll probably leave it on and forget it. I remember seeing the Greenbush Grand Opening decal on one of the F40's a couple months ago. I dunno if the decal is still on today

that decal is still on the 1052 and it looks like it will be until weather and time ruin it
Wow. Does this mean the K car will stay wrapped for like 8 months or longer?
  by paulrail

GP40MC 1116 wrote:
paulrail wrote:Yes, it has a yellow "D" after the number 762. I saw it again last Sunday from a distance sitting next to a cab control MBB car in the Kingston layover yard. It does have a LARGE circle T on the right side of the car, The white lettering, "No Brainer" runs between the upper and lower sets of windows. It really does look good;... the slogan is right to the point!

Any photos on NERAIL or other sites yet ?

I wonder if any other cars are to be done this way?

Paul
Why were you in the layover yard :-D

And if so, you didn't get a picture :wink:
I stopped by the Kingston layover yard to see if my friend (T.R.) who is the Track Foreman on the Plymouth/Kingston line was there. I only went in as far as the trailer and storage containers but could see waayyy down the yard that the wraped car was there. I put my binoculars on it and saw the letering and the circle T. It was too far down into the yard to even think about a picture. LOL :-)
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the wrapped car is sitting in Greenbush for the weekend. There are some pictures posted on NERAIL by Greg Guimond

Wrapped Car

Wrapped Car II
  by MBTA3247

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Wrapped Car
The T logo does not work well on that side of the car. They need to wrap the two windows that fall inside it.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

MBTA3247 wrote:
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:Wrapped Car
The T logo does not work well on that side of the car. They need to wrap the two windows that fall inside it.
yeah, When I looked at it, I thought it was a bit awkward