Railroad Forums 

• Subway/trolley radio frequencies

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#498852  by MBTA3247

What radio frequencies do the Red, Blue, Green, and Orange lines use?

#498861  by banshee

Red 470.4125
Orange 470.6125
Green 470.6375
Blue 470.6875
 #550208  by danib62

I'm considering buying a radio scanner in order to listen in on MBTA operations as well as maybe Boston EMS. What models do people recommend and how much should I expect to spend. What features are important that I should be looking for? I'm not looking for the top of the line but I don't want a piece of junk either.

EDIT: I should add in that I'm preferably looking for something portable.
 #550588  by StevieC48

Yea get a trunk tracker since the T is going to a 8-900MHZ trunking system. That would be the only way to hear them . But you still can her BEMS on the same scanner as well.
 #779331  by Type7trolley

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but what ever became of this move to the 8-900MHZ trunking system?
The reason I ask is that I tried the previously posted frequencies out today, and I can hear the Green line (470.6375) on my non-trunking scanner just fine. I haven't been able to pick up anything from the Red, Orange, or Blue lines.
 #779404  by CRail

The green line is repeated above ground, you can hear it from miles and miles away (GP40MC1116 will tell you about hearing it from southern New Hampshire!). The other lines are only receivable if you're relatively close to the city. All of the subway frequencies are correct and current.

As far as the new system, it isn't really trunking, it's digital (which is worse!). Buses have been converted and use the new system. It is full of flaws and impracticalities, and they often revert back to the old system. Some Green Line officials carry the new digital portable radios but the line is still on the old system. Blue Line personnel all communicate by portable radio since the 0700s are equipped with the new system's radios which are not used, this means that you'll only hear them with a scanner if you're on or near schedule.. I mean the line :P , although you will still be able to hear the dispatcher from farther away.
 #779449  by typesix

Eventually, there will be a switch to all digital and we won't be able to listen. No digital scanner(current or future) can decode this particular M/A Com system and not likely to, as the manufacturer won't allow it.
 #779540  by StevieC48

Just a note if your scanner is capable to carry Pl the MBTA for the Blue,Green,Orange and Red is 162.2. And Boston EMS is 462.975 Pl 151.4 Hope this helps.
 #785094  by MNCRR9000

If I am not mistaken I believe that the only ones not going over to the new M/A COM (Now Harris Corporation) Provice Digital system is the MBCR.