Railroad Forums 

• MOVIE: "The Happening" scenes on SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#541201  by planettelex

When this movie was being filmed, I lived next to the Trenton Cutoff near Malvern and one Saturday or Sunday morning I happened to see Septa #61 hauling the Bomber coaches on the Cutoff... I had no idea what was going on at the time...but there was another thread on this site that mentioned it...which i now cannot find because I am getting errors trying to search the site... if I remember I'll try to find it later...

#541444  by PARailWiz

I saw the trailer for The Happening in the theater last week before Ironman. I wasn't expecting it so it was quite a pleasant surprise to see a diesel-hauled SEPTA train on the big screen...

#541460  by R3 Passenger

PARailWiz wrote:I saw the trailer for The Happening in the theater last week before Ironman. I wasn't expecting it so it was quite a pleasant surprise to see a diesel-hauled SEPTA train on the big screen...
Same here. I turned to my brother sitting next to me, and said "Doesn't that train look familiar?" I kinda wondered how they fit the cameras and bulky equipment in the car for the inside shots.

#541584  by ekt8750

R3 Passenger wrote:I kinda wondered how they fit the cameras and bulky equipment in the car for the inside shots.
They prolly recreated the interior of the car on some soundstage.

#541631  by BuddSilverliner269

I wasnt involved in those train movements but I do know the ones that were so I will have to ask and see if they know how it was done. Im guessing that maybe the windows were taken out and the camera equipment slung from the outside to shoot in? Thats my theory anyways. If you look closely you can see some of those cars still with the decals that covered over the Septa logo still running.

#541684  by blockline4180

The trailer shows about 4 or 5 SEPTA conductors.. I'm guessing they were actors and not actual employees>? The uniforms looked authentic.. were they??

#541781  by sixroute

blockline4180 wrote:The trailer shows about 4 or 5 SEPTA conductors.. I'm guessing they were actors and not actual employees>? The uniforms looked authentic.. were they??
I don't remember seeing Septa conductors so well dressed

#541848  by PopeDX

blockline4180 wrote:The uniforms looked authentic.. were they??
Puffy coats and baseball hats? :D
 #545351  by NorEasterNick

I just got back from watching this movie. I must say it was good. I was shocked to see a Septa train as many of you were. I was even more shocked to see the 61 pulling the Comets. I got a good laugh when I saw all those conductors for such a short train. No wonder Septa has no money, paying all those guys :wink:
 #545382  by scotty269

NorEasterNick wrote:I just got back from watching this movie. I must say it was good. I was shocked to see a Septa train as many of you were. I was even more shocked to see the 61 pulling the Comets. I got a good laugh when I saw all those conductors for such a short train. No wonder Septa has no money, paying all those guys :wink:
After boarding from 30th Street Lower Level, the train is shown leaving Philly. They show a shot of the 61 and coaches heading southward, away from the city. There is then an overhead shot of the train, which quite obviously is an AEM-7 hauling Amfleets. Appeared to be on the Paoli line, judging by the concrete ties.

Some minor nitpicks. The forward-most doors on the first two coaches were open. Also, the trains were displaying the yellow-on-orange NO RIDERS destination signs outside the doors. Cab car 2405 was trailing. For the interior shots, they used one of the center door equipped cars.

By the way, don't waste your money on this movie. Wasn't that good IMHO.
 #545413  by ChemiosMurphy

Also, the trains were displaying the yellow-on-orange NO RIDERS destination signs outside the doors.
Unreal. That's just unreal that no one on set would notice that. I'm a film major at Drexel and my professors would RIP into me if something like that got on screen. The script supervisor didn't do their job. Spending two hours in a theater watching a film is supposed to take you out of reality, but little things like this keep you in it. Sorry for the rant.....
 #545670  by ChemiosMurphy

Just got back from seeing it. horrible movie and such forced dialogue... But anyways.. Here's what I noticed

-It was strange to see the consist popping out of the CCCT on the Reading end...
-They didn't arrive at Harrisburg, yet ended up in the middle of the state.

That's all I have...
 #545684  by scotty269

You sure it was the Reading end? I guess because of the speed and angle, I didn't notice it was that side.