Railroad Forums 

• Permenent SEPTA News Investigations

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#41108  by ewonder

To anyones recollection, has an investigative journalist at either of the local papers ever taken on SEPTA, in any way? Has there ever been a dedicated (weekly) column in any of the papers discussing mass- transit issues, service, and conditions in the city and the region? SEPTA needs to be scrutinized and graded on an on-going basis in a very public forum, in my opinion.

#41119  by JeffK

I have been beating this drum for at least the last 5 or 6 years, to no avail. The Inquirer has a couple of reporters who do part-time reporting, but that's about all. The DN has been a bit more willing to get scrappy about SEPTA issues but they seem to have dropped the regular blasts from their Phantom Rider. No one has a full-time transit beat.

I've made repeated suggestions to various personnel at the Inky that they could get a lot of mileage if they launched one of their investigative reports, but all they do is listen politely and go on to some other story.

What disturbs me most is an incident that happened about 5 years ago: I did manage to get the ear of one Inquirer reporter and spent about 2 hours on the phone detailing everything from EPA violations to fare-gouging. They listened, seemed very interested, and promised to get back to me for more information and contacts. A couple of weeks later, they called and said, sorry, I've been told not to pursue the story any further.

Maybe the Bill Stead saga isn't so far off the mark.

#41235  by Matthew Mitchell

JeffK wrote:I have been beating this drum for at least the last 5 or 6 years, to no avail. The Inquirer has a couple of reporters who do part-time reporting, but that's about all.
I'd give them a little more credit than that--Jere Downs does definitely have SEPTA on her beat, but it's probably unrealistic to expect the Inquirer to put someone on a beat where all they do is transportation: they just don't have that many people because Knight-Ridder is using the Inquirer as a cash cow. The same criticisms can be made lots of other places--how can they try to pass themselves off as a major national paper if they can't have a full-timer writing on wine, frinstance.

And this isn't new: fifteen years ago when Mark Bowden was covering SEPTA, it wasn't his only beat. But after Bowden left and Gambaccini was in place, the Inquirer largely ignored SEPTA despite its importance to the region and its being a target-rich environment for any enterprising journalist (I'd love to get paid to kick over rocks at 1234 Market St). It was only after Metro was announced that the Inquirer decided to get serious about covering SEPTA again, at which point Jere got the assignment.
The DN has been a bit more willing to get scrappy about SEPTA issues but they seem to have dropped the regular blasts from their Phantom Rider. No one has a full-time transit beat.
Well Fr^H^H Phantom retired a few years ago, but the various city desk writers who've covered SEPTA since (Phantom didn't actually do much news coverage) have done more than a respectable job, especially Bob Warner. What you're seeing is that the News is more willing to intentionally embarrass SEPTA.

One more consideration is that a lot of the really bad stuff is on the railroad side and in planning, rather than in transit operations, and the Daily News still holds to the (incorrect) stereotype that the railroad isn't for city people.
I've made repeated suggestions to various personnel at the Inky that they could get a lot of mileage if they launched one of their investigative reports, but all they do is listen politely and go on to some other story.
Baffles me too. All I can do is keep saying "target-rich environment." It cries out for some good old-fashioned newspapering, but that is pretty undervalued in modern journalism: the road to success nowadays is through trying to nail the President, or writing sports and getting a gig on the radio.
What disturbs me most is an incident that happened about 5 years ago: I did manage to get the ear of one Inquirer reporter and spent about 2 hours on the phone detailing everything from EPA violations to fare-gouging. They listened, seemed very interested, and promised to get back to me for more information and contacts. A couple of weeks later, they called and said, sorry, I've been told not to pursue the story any further.
I can report a similar thing happening to a story I had helped with research on. I'm speculating here, but given the editorial attitudes and the fact that it's the stories that make management look bad that disappear, that someone on high is of the belief that criticizing SEPTA management is the same as criticizing public transportation, and somehow constitutes disloyalty to the cause. Never blame SEPTA when you can blame the stingy pols in Harrisburg. It's been like that ever since Lou Gambaccini was in charge, and Uncle Lou had a mesmerizing effect on the media.

#44385  by Lucius Kwok

If the newspapers won't take it up, you should start a blog about it. Check out the Frankford Terminal Blog which focuses on SEPTA. I know there are a few politicians in the area interested in what people have to say in blogs, and Rep. Mark Cohen has his own blog. I think blogs are becoming an important tool in influencing politics, especially local issues. See what Cohen has to say about blogs.

#44415  by jfrey40535

Ive been in contact with Jim Nolan from the Daily News. I got him to do the feature article on the 15 last month. He's doing a follow up next week.

His email is [email protected] if anyone wants to contact him.

#44422  by walt

One of your problems is that Philadelphia has always had an adversarial relationship with its transit providers. From the PRT to the PTC to SEPTA, there have always been issues surrounding public transportation and I suspect, that, to the news outlets, this isn't really news. (Kind of a "so what else is new" attitude)

#45973  by ctrabs74

Lucius Kwok wrote:If the newspapers won't take it up, you should start a blog about it. Check out the Frankford Terminal Blog which focuses on SEPTA.
Thanks for the free publicity... :-)

Anyway, there's a lot of stuff that I see on the SEPTA system that doesn't get posted on the blog due to time constraints. What I often post, admittedly, is the worst of the worst, but occasionally SEPTA does something intelligent that justifies a posting on the blog...

And, for the record, it's mainly a bus-related site, but Regional Rail does get some mention...