Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#433931  by Tadman

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=197368

See above pic - it's a highliner operating with the motorman's door open. This is fairly common on Metra Electric and South Shore when the weather is nice, and I can't think of a better job in railroading than running with the door open at a temperature of about 80 degrees... I'm sure it's better on South Shore with higher speeds and a better breeze.

#434087  by blippo

The first thing that came to my mind is kids throwing rocks or shooting at you

#434091  by pennsy

Hi,

F units on the Santa Fe would run with the side door open routinely, since the cab was not air conditioned. However, that door was well behind the Engineman's seat, and so he was safe and not in any danger of falling out, as this fella is. If the cab is air conditioned, why would you want to endanger yourself ???

#434117  by uhaul

There is a bar for protection though. I think the person driving is a female fella more commonly known as a dudette.
I see UPS drivers bombing around most of the time at high speed with their side door open and sometimes no seat belt.

#435622  by Metra Employee

uhaul wrote:There is a bar for protection though. I think the person driving is a female fella more commonly known as a dudette.
I see UPS drivers bombing around most of the time at high speed with their side door open and sometimes no seat belt.
I think it's wonderful to see a woman driving. Sadly, Metra is far behind when it comes to women being promoting. Still way too many chauvinist pigs who think women shouldn't work in railroad except as secretaries.

#435636  by pennsy

Hi All,

In Southern California, on the Gold line, etc. it is rather common to see a female operator. I didn't notice this fact until I actually saw a female operator leave the lead car of the red line and walk to the opposite end, and enter the cab for the return trip. Since then it has been a rather common sight on the other lines, the LRV's, to see female operators. Or, in other words, no big deal. By the way, they are all, quite competent.

#435672  by MetraBNSF

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune a couple of years ago where a female engineer was interviewed. The article had to do with a rash of accidents involving Metra trains back in 2004. The engineer at the time was working on the RI.

I've also seen a female engineer on one of the morning runs on the BNSF.

#435720  by Metra416

I recall meeting the female engineer that works on The Rock...as of last year she was still there, and I think she has been there long enough where she worked a specific job, not off the extra board, if I rememeber correctly.

#435862  by Tadman

There's quite a few women at South Shore which is partially funded by RTA. However RTA does not make SS hiring decisions to my knowledge. They all seem to be quite competent and pleasant. However I've hardly met somebody on South Shore I didn't like. It's a solid group of railroaders.

#436182  by doepack

Continuing the off-topic drift, for whatever reason, most women conductors and engineers employed by Metra seem to work on the Rock or electric districts. By contrast, I've only seen several women conductors on UP, and have yet to see one that works the West line. While there are a few women engineers and/or conductors in freight service on the Geneva sub, I think all the regular West line engineers in commuter service are male. However, I did catch a rare sight of a woman engineer working on the NW line recently...

#448799  by KFC Jones

pennsy wrote:Hi,

F units on the Santa Fe would run with the side door open routinely, since the cab was not air conditioned. However, that door was well behind the Engineman's seat, and so he was safe and not in any danger of falling out, as this fella is. If the cab is air conditioned, why would you want to endanger yourself ???
Some people are willing to take the risk that they won't suddenly and spontaneously fall out of their seat! I personally love the breeze, being a motorcycle rider. I run with the door open all the time, although on MU and cab cars its not possible anymore without cutting out the door bypass switch... a big no-no where I work.

I'm surprised that most- almost all- of my brother/sister engineers keep the windows and doors shut and the AC or heat blasting. Makes being an engineer feel like an office job/video game/movie. : ( Part of my routine of setting up the engine to run is to open those windows and get some air in! I never saw the point of sitting in a 55 degree room an a 95 degree day.

Sorry for venting. I guess I overstated my point : )
 #450642  by Kangaroo_of_72

doepack wrote:By contrast, I've only seen several women conductors on UP, and have yet to see one that works the West line.
While visiting in the area recently, I had an African-American woman for an engineer on UP-N. How's that for a minority??

We were headed southbound on a Sunday morning.