Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#449361  by acela 2036

Hey guys, Im visiting Chicago next week and i want to go to a game at Wringley field, and I want to take the subway. My starting station is Chicago on the redline. Where do i from there? Thanks for help!

#449381  by orangeline

Take the Red Line north from Chicago/State (in the direction of Howard) and get off at Addison.

There is one caveat... lately there's been work ongoing in the tunnels so the Red Line has been rerouted over the elevated on weekends. If that's the case during your visit, you'll have to board the northbound train at the Chicago/ Franklin stop (normally only Brown/Purple Lines); that's about 6 blocks west of State St. Take the train to Addison.

In either case, Wrigley Field (no "n") will be right in front of you. One other point, the rail transit system (whether elevated, subway or surface running) is called the "L" by locals.

Enjoy your stay and your visit to the "friendly confines". Make sure there's a game scheduled and you have a ticket in hand -- they can get VERY expensive to purchase on game days!

#449421  by Tadman

As for going back downtown, walk a few blocks north on Sheffield to the Sheridan L station, it's the first station north of Addison and the crowds are more manageable.

#449649  by Nelson Bay

There will be 2 games at Wrigley next week if the Cubs make the playoffs. (The regular season ends this Sunday.)

Orangeline is right about " having a ticket in hand ". If the Cubs make the playoffs the game will be a sellout. You can get a ticket on-line today- prices range from $124 for standing room only to $1800!

#450139  by acela 2036

orangeline wrote:Take the Red Line north from Chicago/State (in the direction of Howard) and get off at Addison.

There is one caveat... lately there's been work ongoing in the tunnels so the Red Line has been rerouted over the elevated on weekends. If that's the case during your visit, you'll have to board the northbound train at the Chicago/ Franklin stop (normally only Brown/Purple Lines); that's about 6 blocks west of State St. Take the train to Addison.

In either case, Wrigley Field (no "n") will be right in front of you. One other point, the rail transit system (whether elevated, subway or surface running) is called the "L" by locals.

Enjoy your stay and your visit to the "friendly confines". Make sure there's a game scheduled and you have a ticket in hand -- they can get VERY expensive to purchase on game days!
Thanks guys!