Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#414349  by Tadman

Is there ever any talk of a open house in MC for the fans? I notice Metro North and LIRR both have open houses for their fans. I've been in the new shop, but it was for business and I didn't want to be too much of a foamer when I had some contracts at stake.

#414445  by doepack

Nothing like seeing this unique, quirky railroad up close and personal; I think an open house would be a great idea...

#414491  by CSXT 700

Sign me up I would find a way to be there.

#415932  by dinwitty

CERA had a fan trip some years ago I was on, started from chicago, went to shops for a tour, then went on to New Carlisle and all dropped off to eat in a NC restaurant, then returned to chicago, all via the SS.
You had to sign a waiver to be in the shops.
Prolly the most influential would have to get the CERA involved for another tour trip out. With all the changes since, it may be worth it.

#446774  by PRRGuy

Nictd does have open houses occasionally, you just need to know where to look to find out. Last year we had one for the Monon RR Historical Society, which was having their annual convention in Michigan City.

If I hear of any for next summer I'll let you know.

#446936  by Otto Vondrak

I think we're confusing Open House and a scheduled tour.

The one Tadman is referring to is Metro-North's annual Croton Harmon Open House. The shop is cleaned up and roped off, and each department is present with displays about what they do. Some departments do demonstrations, such as using cranes to re-rail a car, or how thermite welds work, or whatever. The shop tours are free and open to the public- not just scheduled for any one particular group. No waivers needed.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/harmon_openhouse.htm

-otto-