Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#424199  by seth dc

I am a transit fan, and last weekend I visited Chicago for the first time. First let me say I really enjoyed the system, despite having to use the shuttle connection for the blue line due to the track work (we stayed near O'Hare). My question is what the photo policy is on CTA, because when I took a photo inside the vestibule at a station on the loop, the station attendant was pretty upset. The subject matter wasn't anything special or obviously off-limits, just a view of the old ticket windows, with no employees in view. Can someone elaborate as to what you can and can't take pictures of? If there is a ban, I imagine it must be hard to enforce, with all the tourists using the loop to view and take pictures of downtown streets and buildings from above.

Seth

#424287  by doepack

Generally, CTA employees frown upon pictures taken while on its property or from aboard its trains, although, unlike Metra, I don't believe CTA has an "official" photo policy that explicitly prohibits this behavior. Glad you enjoyed your visit otherwise, but on future visits, use public locations to get your pictures; just to be on the safe side...