Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#406416  by Tadman

I caught the end of a story on WBBM today, it seems a young boy with a terminal disease will be assisting the conductor of a Metra train in the near future in accordance with his wish made to the make a wish foundation. It's great to hear Metra is making this possible.

#407411  by doepack

I didn't know Metra hired engineers so young...

Train's whistle never sounded so good
MAKE-A-WISH | Blind boy takes turn as Metra engineer

June 6, 2007
BY TERESA SEWELL Staff Reporter/[email protected]

Rubbing his fingers around Metra Engine 401's control panel, 11-year-old co-conductor Christopher Chappell felt his way back to the handle that performs his favorite action -- it toots the whistle.

Christopher, who is blinded by an incurable disease, was granted his wish to drive a train by the Make-A-Wish Foundation's Destination Joy Tuesday morning.

Christopher Chappell, 11, got his wish Tuesday when he drove a Metra train to Rochelle. Train engineer Tom Baldwin lends a hand.
(Jean Lachat/Sun-Times)

"Hi," Christopher yelled out the train's window as it pulled into Union Station. "Wa-hooo!"

Christopher is the second child in the program to assist a conductor in driving a train.

Lay's plans to help 100,000 kids
Former Wish kid Oliver "Ollie" Tibbles did it in 2003, and the locomotive on Metra's Burlington Northern Santa Fe Line was named for him after he died.

"Destination Joy," sponsored by Lay's potato chips, plans to grant wishes to about 100,000 children who will be diagnosed with life-threatening medical conditions in the next four years.

"[The ride] was good," said Christopher, who had family and friends on board for the hour-and-a-half ride. "I liked the whistle."

Christopher has Batten's disease, an inherited disorder of the nervous system that eventually totally disables the body. Two of his seven siblings also have the ailment.

Last fall, the foundation granted 8-year-old Elizabeth Chappell's wish to go to Disney World.

"That was fun," she said. She, too, is blind, but her vision stayed long enough for her to see her favorite "princesses," Jasmine and Ariel.

Five-year-old James Chappell clocked his brother's run.

"We're going faster again," he said as he looked out the window smiling.

James, who is currently losing his sight, has yet to plan for his wish.

Celeste Chappell, Christopher's mother, says her faith in God makes the situation easier.

She said she and her husband found out they both had a gene for the disease only after Christopher was diagnosed in 2005.

"Make-A-Wish is incredible," she said. "They've been such a spot of joy in our lives."

#407436  by MikeF

doepack wrote:Christopher is the second child in the program to assist a conductor in driving a train.
I didn't know conductors drove trains ...

#408322  by F40CFan

The "Make a Wish" cab coaches (8546 and 8587) were bringing up the markers on Milw West train 2227 last night (06/07/2007).

I rode in 8546. Its nice to have cars from special trains, it was spotless, inside and out. Great to have like-new windows to look out of.

#408483  by EricL

Rochelle? Roselle? Eh . . . they're both west of Chicago . . . just pick one and run it.

#411328  by F40CFan

If anyone is interested, 401 was on Milw West train 2243 last night (06/14/2007).

#411367  by Metra416

Does anyone know where 401 is today or where it will end up for the weekend?

#414223  by F40CFan

FYI, Make a Wish coaches 8546 and 8587 are no longer on Milw West train 2227. I do not know where the went, I haven't seen them on the road, in the yard or at CUS.

#414409  by MetraPace

I saw both cars on 2246 tonight. They were still attached to each other, but both were mid-train.

Brad

#414447  by doepack

For those interested in pics, the two cabs still have the "Make a Wish Foundation" signage on them, and are likely to run this weekend on Milw/West. Best bet is later on today (Saturday, 6/23...)

#416455  by F40CFan

FYI, 401 is the "protection" power at CUS this morning (06/28/2007). It is sitting on track 1.