Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#407527  by Wanderer

Hey all...

I'm planning on spending some time at Joliet Union Station when I come home to Illinois this month. I was wondering if someone could help me identify the numbers and possibly times of deadheads past/to Joliet on the Heritage Corridor & Rock Island??

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, being I am totally clueless on this one. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Matt

#407641  by doepack

IIRC, Metra runs 2 equipment moves to/from Joliet during the week, one in each direction. The first one is 4161, which runs all the way from LaSalle St., and arrives Joliet at about 7:30am or so, becoming equipment for inbound 416. The second one runs Joliet-Blue Island in the evenings, around 1930 or so. Can't remember the train numbers offhand, I think Kyle (aka our esteemed moderator, MetraRI) should be able to fill in the blanks on that.

Also, deadheads on HC at Joliet strictly consist of equipment heading to/from the yard, nothing more...

#407756  by Wanderer

doepack wrote:Can't remember the train numbers offhand, I think Kyle (aka our esteemed moderator, MetraRI) should be able to fill in the blanks on that.
Cool. Thanks for the help. There is nothing else to/from Joliet? Hopefully MetraRI (who's great stuff I found on YouTube today) can fill in the blank?

Regards,
Matt

#407797  by metraRI

doepack pretty much hit the spot for this one.. RI only has two deadheads going all the way out to Joliet. 4161, which now apparently stops at Tinley Park 80th Avenue... turning into 416 and 6062, coming off of train 419, leaving at '19:28'. The best place to catch one of the deadheads would be away from Joliet.. as in Joliet they are going just as fast as every other train. 6062 can make pretty good speed going through Mokena and Tinley, pending on how far ahead 518 is ahead. The rest of RI's deadheads happen between LaSalle and Blue Island.

As for HC, the only equipment moves made with those three sets are from CN tracks to RI's layover yard... it is something different to see, but nothing too exciting.

#407808  by Wanderer

Thanks! Much appreciated.