Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#359276  by PRRGuy

This billboard is located along the Eastbound lanes of 80/94 after the I-65 interchange..Been a long time since I've seen a railroad advertise like this...

Note to others: Do not attempt to take photos while driving...like I did.
 #359333  by byte

The South Shore wrote: Relieving highway congestion
- Since 1916
Hey, wait a minute. That highway wasn't there in 1916!

...stupid jokes aside, it's nice to see railroads advertising again. Even those corny "building America" ads the UP periodically runs...

#359381  by doepack

If they were to give equal space on that billboard for a photo of the MU commuter equipment, the "relieving highway congestion" message would have a double meaning...

(...and byte: The Metra forum isn't the only one with many off-topic posts. NJT and SEPTA immediately come to mind as well. But do you pick on them? Nooooo... :P)

#359436  by Tadman

Having driven up I-94 around 130th street, where the South Shore crosses the highway, I know it can get quite congested with Indiana people driving downtown. I cannot for the life of me understand why NICTD doesn't hang a billboard advising motorists that the trains are easier to ride downtown, and the Hegewisch station is a mile to the east.

#359477  by MikeF

PRRGuy wrote:How about this? "Well....at least We're moving"
Reminds me of the Metra billboard along the UP-NW line where it parallels the Kennedy Expressway near the Jefferson Park station: "On time? We are." That one's been there for as long as I can remember.

#359531  by byte

MikeF wrote: Reminds me of the Metra billboard along the UP-NW line where it parallels the Kennedy Expressway near the Jefferson Park station: "On time? We are." That one's been there for as long as I can remember.
Metra has a couple others on the south side. IIRC, there's one hanging on the MED Blue Island branch bridge over the northbound lanes of I-57 that says "Take the real expressway" or something similar, complete with an F40 painted on the sign (On an electric district bridge. Oh the irony.). There's another one on the RI over the Dan Ryan (right next to a rusty Rock Island bridge emblem), but I think it just says "The way to really fly."

#361546  by U-Haul

Do not attempt to take photos while driving...like I did.
Do as I say, not what do?

I really like the idea of railroads advertising to the general (car addicted) public.

#403717  by EJ&ESDM809

I just saw that billboard on my way to Michigan City to see the street running. The headlights and the ditch lights on the photo of 2007 were lit! That is probably one of the neatest advertisments I have ever seen. Those headlights sure catch your eye pretty quickly. The strange thing about that day was just after I saw this billboard with 2007 on it, I saw 2007 at sitting in the yard at Michigan City!