Railroad Forums 

• Premium Services on Trains

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#38454  by jfrey40535

Here's something to ponder:

Although the average commute time on SEPTA trains is an hour or less, what about the possibility of SEPTA creating some type of premium service at additional charge for passengers who may want a higher quality ride, for example: Quiet cars, cars with power outlets, roomier seats, etc., or faster express trains on long routes such as Doylestown, Thorndale, Elwyn, etc.

Would anyone go for it? Would it be worth it? How much could they charge?

#38543  by flynnt

It sounds like an interesting idea, but it almost certainly wouldnt be worth it.
Quiet cars

Are some cars really that noisy that people can't work/read/nap/relax/whatever. Even if there were a demand, this is something SEPTA could do now by designating one car in a train the "quiet" car. No cell phones, no conversations, whatever. I doubt people would pay extra to sit in a quiet but otherwise normal car.
cars with power outlets
This would probably be of most use to someone with a laptop. Most trips are short enough that a single laptop battery should be sufficient without needing an external power source.

roomier seats
I am 6' 4" and have no complaint about leg room. I can't really say I have any complaints about the width of seats either.

Even if there were a demand for these services it could be a big pain in the butt. It would complicate the fare structure. Would people try to sneak into the upgraded cars? A conductor would have to stand guard between the upgraded car and regular car at all times. What if someone in the quiet car starts using a phone all of a sudden?

All that being said, what are some things I would like to see on the train? Fold down tray tables. Would I pay more for this? No.

N.B. My commute time is only 28 minutes (well it's supposed to be) so I wouldn't be the target audience of a program like this anyway.

P.S. Anyone know how long would it take if an express train ran straight from CHW to 30th st(no station stops)? How long if only a few station stops? I might be willing to pay more for that, even though I don't board at CHW?[/quote]
 #38564  by Matthew Mitchell

jfrey40535 wrote:Here's something to ponder:

Although the average commute time on SEPTA trains is an hour or less, what about the possibility of SEPTA creating some type of premium service at additional charge for passengers who may want a higher quality ride, for example: Quiet cars, cars with power outlets, roomier seats, etc., or faster express trains on long routes such as Doylestown, Thorndale, Elwyn, etc.

I think you can rule out dedicated premium express trains except for Amtrak on the Paoli line.

For several years, MARC ran parlor car service on a few of its longer runs. One car was set up with premium seating, power outlets, etc. It included a vendor selling coffee and danish etc. which was available to all passengers. I think it was eventually eliminated for cost reasons, but MARC was pretty satisfied with the results. Even if the extra fares didn't cover the cost of the program, it burnished the image of the entire service by attracting bigshots to ride the train instead of driving.

In general, the short runs most SEPTA trains make will make it hard for this to be economically feasible.

#39051  by Lucius Kwok

The Regional Rails should be the Premium service. SEPTA should refurbish or buy new train cars with 2+2 seating with more legroom, more comfortable seats, tables for getting work done, and other little amenities that make it seem a cut above other options. I'd pay 50% over current fares for better service.

Have you ever been on a train where all the seats were filled, or had to carry luggage for the airport or to catch an Amtrak train at 30th St Station? Sometimes I've had to carry presentations materials for a class at Temple University.

I'm thinking of somethlng like Acela service but without the tray tables and with tighter seat pitch. Somebody should do a survey and see what the riders really want. Probably going through the process of finding this out is more fruitful than trying to imagine the final product based on an individual's preferences.

#39206  by walt

The closest thing to what is being suggested here for Phila area commuters were the two Liberty Liner Interurban Trains that the Red Arrow ran for a while on the P&W ( Route100). Septa actually continued to run those two trains until the late 1970's, though they were really unsuited to a line a short as the P&W, and consumed far too much power for the electrical system of that line. ---But---- they were nice while they lasted.
 #39377  by Hal

jfrey40535 wrote:Here's something to ponder:

Rather than make the trains into business class, start making the stations into business generation points with services so people can work while they wait.

Considering that the average wait between trains is longer than the average train ride, a better implimentation of the idea would be to skip premiums services on the trains, and instead offer those premium services at the stations-

Air conditioning that works in the summer, heat in the winter, electrical outlets for laptops, WIFI internet connections etc.

I really like the idea of the railroad stop as the focus of the bussiness commuter, a return to 100 years ago when the station was the locus of freight, deliveries and food. Turn the land that SEPTA owns into a collection place where workers can arrive and be productive. Take the business model of the internet cafe and merge it with transit so
people can stay connected to work WHILE they wait to get to work.

Hal
 #39589  by Matthew Mitchell

Hal wrote:Rather than make the trains into business class, start making the stations into business generation points with services so people can work while they wait.

Considering that the average wait between trains is longer than the average train ride, a better implimentation of the idea would be to skip premiums services on the trains, and instead offer those premium services at the stations-
You're confusing the average headway (period between trains) with the average time people spend at the station waiting. In real life, commuters, especially business passengers, look at the timetable and plan to arrive about five minutes before train time, maybe ten if they're risking getting delayed in traffic.
Air conditioning that works in the summer, heat in the winter, electrical outlets for laptops, WIFI internet connections etc.
That sounds like a job for someone opening a coffee shop at the station, not a job for SEPTA. But in all honesty, people who are riding commuter trains don't hang around at the station. They either head straight to work or straight home.