Railroad Forums 

• Train 170 stooped in Newark for police investigation 7/22

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#36986  by David Benton

What about the person who put the note up ? .if its not a drill that person is to blame for holding every one up , not Amtrak , the police etc . These kind of pranks are pretty sick , and could actually be dangerous if it divetrts attention away from another less obvious risk .

#37016  by crazy_nip

F23A4 wrote:Welcome to the post-9/11 (and more relatively speaking Madrid 3/11) world.
yes, SHOW ME YOUR PAPERS...

#37065  by Robert Paniagua

Well, who knows. They may start doing what the MBTA is doing in Boston. Searching and scrutinizing people's luggage, they just started doing that in the Boston Area Transit system, and I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Amtrak were to follow suit, which I would have no problem over.

Mr. QueenLR8, you're absolutely right. This is the way we'll have to live. I have to agree with you completely.

#37072  by EastCleveland

Blame it on my misspent youth, but I possess the ability to spot an undercover cop at two hundred yards.

During the past week, I've traveled on the Lake Shore Limited and two different Empire Service trains. Plainclothes security people were riding on all three.

#37128  by jfrey40535

My biggest concern is how frequent is this going to occur, and will it at least be more efficient? Imagine how alarming it would be to be at the end of your slumber before going to NYP only to be awakened by some beefed-up FBI agent or other law enforcement official asking you for your papers?

Now that the terrorists know they can bring amtrak to a crawl by writing "bomb" on a napkin, will they do it again? The first thing no one wants to see happen is an attack actually take place, but imagine going to NYC for a 3 hour conference, having your train delayed 90 minutes for something like this costs you your whole point of going to NYC.

Besides, we already have plenty of delay threats from broken signals, switches and locomotives. The last thing we need is another excuse to hold up a train.

Anyone want to gamble the odds that this is some anti-rail person's way of helping to bring Amtrak to its knees?

#37140  by queenlnr8

jfrey40535 wrote:Anyone want to gamble the odds that this is some anti-rail person's way of helping to bring Amtrak to its knees?
... That's a little 'out there' don't you think?

#37144  by RMadisonWI

queenlnr8 wrote:
jfrey40535 wrote:Anyone want to gamble the odds that this is some anti-rail person's way of helping to bring Amtrak to its knees?
Not necessarily. All it takes is one.

#37207  by metrarider

queenlnr8 wrote:
not really, after all it wasn't really a real terror threat.

Think about it. Kids calls in bomb threats to school because they don't want ot go

could be someone doesn't like Amtrak
could be someone who thinks hes making a point wrt to security
could be some attention seeker

could simply be a malcontent

there are other possibilities as well

#37210  by Otto Vondrak

I think we've exhausted this topic in regards to Amtrak operations. There is a thread in the rail travel forum where you can discuss "Security of The Passenger."

-otto-