Railroad Forums 

• Off Topic...BUT..We NEED the humor Break Here!

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#36229  by RMadisonWI

...and 1 to point out that it should be "URLs" and not "URL's" since there is no contraction or possessive.

#36267  by Robert Paniagua

Just to let you know though:

Otto is gonna find out about this and play his "policeman" duties by killing this thread 100%.

Beware............
 #36269  by ansontripp

In general, you are right-- plurals of initialisms (abbreviations where each letter is read individually, eg "UFO"; compare acronyms, such as "RADAR", "SCUBA") should be formed by simply adding an "s", with no apostrophe, like every other regular plural formation in English. It's consistent and makes sense.

But the New York Times Style Manual disagrees. It says if you've got two or more, they're "URL's." It does so for legitimate reasons that are peculiar to the Times-- one can certainly argue that outside the Times the rule doesn't apply. Nonetheless, this hasn't stopped the habit from spilling into other publications. So, through via common usage it becomes acceptable.

Unless you're suggesting that URL is an acronym and is read "earl." But that's just craaazy.
 #36336  by Noel Weaver

Lock up the cat and the mice will play.
I do not lock up my cat.
All of you, please have a great day!!!!
Noel Weaver

#36372  by Otto Vondrak

You know, if you dont want me to *find* the off-topic posts, just don't label them "off-topic." Try to hide them creatively in a post you KNOW I won't read, like, "On Time Performance of The Sunset Limited" and "Why was train 69 late arriving in Podunk, Montana this morning?" or my favorite, "When will Amtrak hire Matfels as a Full Time Transportation Consultant?"

And now, back to your regularly scheduled madness.

-otto-