Railroad Forums 

• Unusual P42 nose

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#35128  by AEM7AC920

Hey it doesn't look half bad :wink:

#35131  by astrosa

You're probably right - note that there's another straight seam with rivets at the base of the nose. I actually like the way it looks...the Genesis carbodies are too smooth, it makes them seem fake.

#35197  by Irish Chieftain

Well, you're supposed to get "smooth" with the monocoque construction, after all. (Surprised that the anti-Frenchies haven't spoken out against the word "monocoque", too...)

In any case, a hearty W.B. to the "Old Rivets" look.

#35246  by Metra kid

could this be cause that loco might have been in an accident and this is a repair job to the nose?

#35349  by CSX Conductor

Metra-Kid, did you not read what HSR-Fan wrote?!? lol

My vote is damaged and then repaired.

#35403  by Robert Paniagua

I saw that photo, and it has an arch right above the headlights. Also this same P42 103 pulled the Downeaster consist I had this past Easter Sunday. Pretty interesting photo.

I also saw the caption and I wonder for sure, does it REALLY have the capability of going into Penn Station with third Rail running?? a P42 AC-DM engine too? Surprising to me...............

#35500  by Irish Chieftain

The caption is clearly in error. E-mail the fella who took the pic to have him alter the caption. The P42AC-DM does not exist, obviously.

Road numbers in the 100 series are P42DC locomotives. Amtrak's P32AC-DMs are numbered from 700 to 717. (These numbers were all previously assigned to another GE loco type, the P30CH, although their numbers went beyond 717.)
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#35508  by Metra kid

Sorry CSX Conductor, did not read the whole thing lol, but it does give the engine a nice look to it.