• Comet V Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ABCD

Metro North's first Cab just shipped Car # 6700.

The next 4 will be going out in the next couple of weeks.

by nick11a

Thanks ABCD. Weclome back!

by transit383

Hopefully we'll see some photos of the MTA cabs soon. I'd imagine the paint scheme (or lack thereof) is exceptionally bland on the cabs as well...I picture the cab is decorated in the same fashion as NJT's with the roadname under the engineer's window and the logo under the fireman's window and a car number on the door.

Also, for the first time in I can't remember how long, I caught a C3 leading a mixed C2/C3/C4 set today (no C5s to be found). I was too far away to catch the number, but it was one of the original NJT cabs (not 5009 or 5010). Regarding the cabs being used for restroom purposes on trains (quite common with the C5 cabs), why don't the C3 cabs get placed mid train? Most of the time it is a C4 or a C5 cab while the C3s keep functioning as cab cars. One would think that with the C4s and C5s being so much safer (supposedly) than the C3s, that the C3 cabs would be functioning as trailers until they are rebuilt as such.
Last edited by transit383 on Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by F23A4

I'm seeing quite a number of MN C5s @ Hoboken and MMC. Very boring color scheme. (Not that NJT's is exciting or anything.)

Also, what's up with C5 #6060?? I see that daily on the westbound side of MMC and the exterior looks VERY dingy (almost run down). What gives??

by Jtgshu

Im glad they finally took that hunk of junk out of circulation.......6060 has MAJOR issues.

The one day (several days) I had that car on my train, and was working from it (it was next to the motor, not leading) and none of the doors would work, the PA's did work right, oh it was a mess.....I checked the computer and it showed 21 faults!!!! Thats not good.

Anyway, there are a couple of cars, cab cars in particular, that are really dirty for whatever reason. Abcd said they were washed leaving the factory, but they were dirty like that wehn they arrived on the property and have stayed that way ever since. But is not really like a dirt, its more like an oily substance on the cars.......it will come off if you rub it, but Im sure the car wash don't get it off, it has to be scrubbed off.

by nick11a

I believe someone here mentioned that the M&E is supposed to clean these cars. There are a number of them like this. From 6059-6062 or more. These cabs need to be spray cleaned.

And I agree- it would be nice if they added some detail to the MN cars. They are very boring looking. These cars need and "Extreme Makeover."

by transit383

nick11a Posted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:30 pm Post subject:
I believe someone here mentioned that the M&E is supposed to clean these cars. There are a number of them like this. From 6059-6062 or more. These cabs need to be spray cleaned.
As I mentioned in the original post of this thread, I saw 6066 last week running the Montclair Boonton Line. That car shined like the day it was built. I assume the units built the same time as 6060 (6059-6062) all recieved the same shoddy assembly and were sent out. 6066 showed no signs of shoddy assembly.

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:
As I mentioned in the original post of this thread, I saw 6066 last week running the Montclair Boonton Line. That car shined like the day it was built. I assume the units built the same time as 6060 (6059-6062) all recieved the same shoddy assembly and were sent out. 6066 showed no signs of shoddy assembly.
That sounds about right. Also about 6060, I recall reading in the old RR.net that the car itself was not functional as a cab because it did not have all of the necessary equipment installed at the time. I think that might have been Jt.

by Jtgshu

Yea, that was me, it was already stripped for parts in the cab compartment......

There is a higher cab, maybe 6070, but I honestly don't remember, but definately higher than 6062 that I saw a few weeks ago that was dirty also.....

by ABCD

The Metro North Cabs look exactly like the trailers, the only difference is on the body end door on the very front of the cab there is a Metro North logo right on the door. You guys are right they are very drab or booring looking.

by Irish Chieftain

They may look OK if they were ever to be hauled by P32AC-DMs from east-of-Hudson...

by Zeke

I think a nice blue laser stripe similar to NJTs stripe would wake up that drab non paint stealth scheme.

by nick11a

Zeke wrote:I think a nice blue laser stripe similar to NJTs stripe would wake up that drab non paint stealth scheme.
It would do wonders for these cars.

by transit383

abcd-

Any ideas as to when the first of the 6200 series trailers will be assembled and sent out?

by ABCD

I beleive the 6200 series (bathroom trailers) are going to be built early summer.