• Comet V Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by transit383

How many of the Comet Vs have been delivered already? Yesterday I saw 6066 leading a Montclair-Boonton Line train...the car looked brand new, all shiny and clean. I have also seen coaches numbered into the 6580 series, but how many more are there to go? What is the highest numbered cab or coach anyone has seen?

Is there any news regarding the 6200 series trailers? When can we expect them? Perhaps after they are delivered, we'll see some soild C5 sets roaming around.

Also, what is the status of the Metro North Comet Vs? How many have been delivered of each type (i.e. cab, trailer) and have they entered service yet?

by Guest

The highest cab I have seen is 6073. They also recently just delivered some more coaches- I think the highest I've seen of those babies is 6584 (I think.) It was right around there though.

The cabs are supposed to go up to 6079 and I'm not sure about the coaches.

Presumably pretty soon, we'll start seeing the coach cars with the bathrooms. I thought they were going to be 6400 series but I may well be wrong.

by nick11a

Anonymous wrote:The highest cab I have seen is 6073. They also recently just delivered some more coaches- I think the highest I've seen of those babies is 6584 (I think.) It was right around there though.

The cabs are supposed to go up to 6079 and I'm not sure about the coaches.

Presumably pretty soon, we'll start seeing the coach cars with the bathrooms. I thought they were going to be 6400 series but I may well be wrong.
That was me again. I keep telling this stupid machine (at my home- not dorm) to keep me logged in but it seems to be having problems. Sorry.

by arrow

Transit -- there are a lot of MN Comet V cars in the yard in Hoboken. They are behind the new building they built so you need to be on a train to see them right now I guess.

I personally like the NJT ones better on the outside, the MN ones are much more serious looking.

by nick11a

^I agree with that. They need something else. They look to plain.

I think there was around 5 or 6 of them there when I passed it them on Friday.
  by njtconductor

:D This will be the last time NJT will order push-pull equiptment they are going to fade out over the next ten years in ffavor of doing it the amtrak way. the reasoning to this all the problems they are having with the equiptment.

by james1787

How is Amtrak different?

by transit383

njtconductor-

Can you please elaborate? By doing it the "Amtrak Way", do you mean running the trains without cab cars and simply have a coach trailing?

If they were going to do things this way, then they could have kept the E60s, as this was the way they were run (around the train at terminals). Wouldn't this also involve having dual control stands in the GP40s for them to run long hood forward? Also, what happens with the F40s, GP40FH-2s, and the PL42ACs, all of which can not lead a train in reverse? Will NJT put TWO locomotives on each train in place of a cab car?
  by RiverMP21

njtconductor wrote::D This will be the last time NJT will order push-pull equiptment they are going to fade out over the next ten years in ffavor of doing it the amtrak way. the reasoning to this all the problems they are having with the equiptment.
njtconductor, with all due respect, this seems highly unlikely. Push-Pull has proved to be successful, and is used on pretty much every commuter line in the country. Amtrak doesn't need it because its endpoints are major terminals where equipment can be turned, and locomotives can be changed out. Unless NJT doubles its locomotive fleet, it would be impossible to not run push-pull equipment...

Sure, there would be no problems running on the North Jersey Coast Line, but that's the only line that can handle it because of the Bay Head Loop.

Push-Pull is here to stay unless everything goes to electric MU.

by Ken W2KB

I forgot to login:
In my 7 or 8 years experience commuting daily on the RVL, it seems to me that virtually every time the train was disabled, it was because of problems with the locomotive, not the cab cars.

by nick11a

On a quick side track (pun intended):

I saw a full set of Comet Vs on the RVL today. Looks like they are now introducing more than cabs to the RVL line now.

by Jihn z

nick11a wrote:On a quick side track (pun intended):

I saw a full set of Comet Vs on the RVL today. Looks like they are now introducing more than cabs to the RVL line now.
Sure Nick go steal all of our cars...

When the V's were first introduced, the majority stayed in solid pairs on the M&E, but lately I've noticed a great lack of them. Dover yard today had two V cabs, but everything else was I cabs, rebulit II's and a few IV's.

by nick11a

Jihn z wrote:
nick11a wrote:Sure Nick go steal all of our cars...

When the V's were first introduced, the majority stayed in solid pairs on the M&E, but lately I've noticed a great lack of them.
Well actually, I'm an M&E person myself. :) I live a mile away from Berkeley Heights station on the Gladstone. The only reason why I saw the RVL consist was because I attended the Somerset County St. Patrick's Day Parade in Somerville yesterday. Got to see all of the beer and all of the drunken bagpipers and plus an RVL train too! :) Ah, the Irish are an interesting culture.

And about any lack of the Comet Vs on the M&E, don't worry, there are plenty of them to go around!

Also, I saw a Bay Head train the other day with a Comet V cab so it seems they are no longer restrinting the Comet Vs from Bay Head trains. Because of C5s now being used on the RVL and Bay Head diesel trains, I have been noticing a few more Comet 3 and Comet 4 cabs on the NEC, NJCL and the M&E.

Nicholas O'Sullivan

by transit383

Have the Comet Vs hit the ACL yet?

Nick,

Good to hear the C3 and C4 cabs are back roaming around... I can't remember the last time I saw one functioning as a cab. Also, take a look at the picture below, its a solid set of C3s when they were first delivered. They sure were classy looking back then.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52841

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:Have the Comet Vs hit the ACL yet?

Nick,

Good to hear the C3 and C4 cabs are back roaming around... I can't remember the last time I saw one functioning as a cab. Also, take a look at the picture below, its a solid set of C3s when they were first delivered. They sure were classy looking back then.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=52841
Yeah, they sure do look classy. If only they still put the Comet 3s in solid sets. But their interiors are far from classy IMO! :)