Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by RRChef

The E-9's were old and tired by the time they arrived on the Island and the LIRR found them to be unsatisfactory in service with the C-1's. I am not sure of the exact time, but I beleive the were only used for a few weeks before being taken out of service. The FA that was converted looked like a B unit as the cab had been removed. It had a big front porch a la SD40-2. I believe it is still laying around in Morris Park. The C-1's spent more time out of service with mechanical problems than they did in service. I rode them on a number of occasions and they were an adventure everytime. Aside from annoying problems like lights, heat and ac not working, doors wouldn't open, the bathrooms were always overflowing and the ride quality was horrible. It always felt like to me that these things were going to go off the track when they were at speed or rounding a curve.

There was a rumor going around some years ago that the LIRR was considering converting the C-1's to extra fare parlor chair cars for use on the weekend summer trains(The Cannonball) to the Hamptons. The Parlor cars(red striped cars) had been popular with the Hamptons crowd, but the service ended when the last P-72 was retired. But, the cost to convert them couldn't be justified for use 4 months out of the year.