Railroad Forums 

• The Federal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#31588  by Gilbert B Norman

Best consider it 'gone with the wind', Mr. Touhy.

Just out of interest, I made a website inquiry for a Nov 4 trip (mid autumn) on Regional 67; no sleeper space in inventory.

#33388  by gp40marc69

Night Owl. Was this the name before it was called the Twilight Shoreliner. The train numbers are the same but when the TS ran, it ran to Richmond-Staple Mill. Also, there isn't any sleeper service on Regional #66 or 67.

#33527  by CSX Conductor

Yes GP40Mard...............same train
 #33550  by Noel Weaver

In my opinion, if the train gets a sleeping car put back on its consist, it
merits the name "Federal". If it does not get a sleeping car put back on,
it should stay as it is, un-named.
The "Federal" is a very old established name of the former New Haven -
Pennsylvania through train operation overnight between Boston and
Washington. It was listed as the "Federal Express" in the New Haven
timetable in the summer of 1916.
Seems to me the name might even date back to the period before the
Hell Gate Bridge was even built when it ran via the Poughkeepsie Bridge.
The train should have at least one sleeping car, however, to earn that
historic name.
Noel Weaver

#33621  by NealG

The status monitors in Boston Back Bay referred to it as the Federal on Friday night.

#33780  by RMadisonWI

NealG wrote:The status monitors in Boston Back Bay referred to it as the Federal on Friday night.
Those monitors don't always have the most up-to-date train name information.

About two years ago, I took the Twilight Shoreliner from New Haven to Washington, DC. By that time, all Northeast Direct trains had been renamed Acela Regional. The train status board in New Haven referred to all of the regular trains as "Acela Regional" with the exception of 66/67, which were called, ironically, "N. EAST DIRECT."

In Washington, the gate boards listed the train as "Shoreliner-R" (R for reserved).