Railroad Forums 

• Restrictions on foreign ownership

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#274214  by miamicanes

Are there any legal restrictions relating to foreign ownership of American railroads? For instance, if a major European rail operator showed up one day at CSX's office with lawyers and a metaphorical checkbook wanting to buy their "A" and "S" lines from West Palm Beach to Auburndale, and Tampa to Jacksonville, to use for passenger service between the state's major cities... would anyone in Washington likely throw a fit or try to derail it? Or would their reaction probably be, "hey, if you've got the cash to burn and think you can work a miracle... Have fun..."
 #277941  by scharnhorst

miamicanes wrote:Are there any legal restrictions relating to foreign ownership of American railroads? For instance, if a major European rail operator showed up one day at CSX's office with lawyers and a metaphorical checkbook wanting to buy their "A" and "S" lines from West Palm Beach to Auburndale, and Tampa to Jacksonville, to use for passenger service between the state's major cities... would anyone in Washington likely throw a fit or try to derail it? Or would their reaction probably be, "hey, if you've got the cash to burn and think you can work a miracle... Have fun..."
Washington D.C. might have something to say about leting out of country owners operate in and out of the city. Becouse the railroad that they may buy can not service or be connected to a Military instalation. This was a topic that was covered when a line in my area went up for sale and CN and CP had bids on it but becouse the line hooked up to a military base the bids were turned down. I'm sure it would go the same way for a commuter railroad if it passed threw a military base as well. A good exsample would be Great Lakes Navy School in Illinois where the Metra Trains pass threw the grounds and stop there to pick up and drop off military staff. With all this 9/11 stuff going on the Navy keeped a good eye on anyone who did not look to be like they belonged on base there. My Brother attened Great Lakes and pulled guard duty at the train station there a few times.