• C1s and MN C2s at Hudson Yard

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

And all this time I thought they couldn't run together (until yesterday of course.) The one main difference I always thought why they couldn't be run together was the door control differences. For example, on the high Is, the upper row is the close buttons while the lower row is the open buttons but on the IIs, the upper row is the open buttons while the lower row is the close buttons. There are other differences but they would be too confusing to explain here. But anyway, now that I am older, more mature and more intelligent, :D I see this would have no affect. The panels are just oriented differently.

by transit383

The photo linked below shows a mixed C1/C2 set, complete with a C1 bar car, on the Newark Division. Although it is a rather old picture, it shows that the C1s and C2s are compatible (and were at one time run in mixed sets systemwide).

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=65067

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:The photo linked below shows a mixed C1/C2 set, complete with a C1 bar car, on the Newark Division. Although it is a rather old picture, it shows that the C1s and C2s are compatible (and were at one time run in mixed sets systemwide).

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=65067
Funny, I was perusing around railpictures.net and found the same photo two days ago! Yeah, I saw that and said "cool." Plus, it is a bar car. Thanks though for thinking of me transit. Man, that must have been a cool train to ride on!
Last edited by nick11a on Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by 7 Train

In 1986 were Comet I snack bars still serving refreshments, or did that end in NJT days?

by Irish Chieftain

1986 most definitely was "NJT days". And yes, the Comet I bar cars were indeed serving refreshments, most notably on the NJCL rush-hour expresses.

by 7 Train

When rebuilt in 1987-88 why were the Comet I snack bars removed and replaced with additional seating?

by DutchRailnut

?? cause they needed seats ??

by nick11a

7 Train wrote:When rebuilt in 1987-88 why were the Comet I snack bars removed and replaced with additional seating?
It' actually ashame they were rebuilt with the seats they have now. According to people I've read here, the original Comet I flippable seats were quite comfortable.

by njt4172

Nick,

Yes they were the most comfortable seats that EL/NJDOT/NJT has ever had for commuter service! I remember riding them from 1984-1986 and I can recall that they had a cloth like material. I believe the NON-Smoking cars had a blue cloth seats with a blue rug and the cab cars and other smoking cars had a brown cloth without the floor rug. Did the Bar cars have the brown cloth like seats?....They also had 2-2 seating which made the aisles wider...I feel asleep in them on those late night trains from Hoboken to Dover.

Steve

by nick11a

^Well, being that I was born in 85 and in my reall early years was only around the NJCL (Perth Amboy) I never experienced their original form. It's ashame. I really like the Comet Is and it's ashame to see them today in the current form.

by 7 Train

Mike Steniberg's hobokenterminal.com has a page on the Comet I.

In the "Push-Pull Story", a small leaflet about the new Comet I issued in 1971, it mentions that the seats are arranged 2-and-2 and are reversible and contoured in fire retardant vinyl in mohair.

The rebuild notes mention when rebuilt by Bombardier, all cars recieved fixed 3-2 seating. Cab cars were giving handicap access and the snack cars recieves more seats where the bars used to be.

And as a goodie, here's the interior of a Comet I Snack Bar car as delivered in 1970:

by baldwr

njt4172 you are 100% correct about the original Commet I seating. It was by far the most comfotable seeting offered. My pop still claims that to this day. "You didn't mind sitting next to someone back then," he always says. He started commuting on the M&E back in the 70s and is still on the train to this day.

He was right, the seats were wider than the typical 2 seat on today's Commet cars. The seats in the trailers were blue vynil with a blue/green cloth; the carpeting also had a blue green motiff. The cab cars (somking cars on the Hoboken trains) has red/mustard yellow seats and no carpeting.

Its funny though. When I was 4, my pop would take me for a ride into Hoboken. Back then the were two classes of trains on the M&E. There were the "super trains" and "ickys". That was my unoffical 4-year-old technical terminology for the push-pull equipment and the DL&W MUs. Ahhh those were the days. What happend?

by njt4172

baldwr,

Yeah I don't know what happened...Back then we were kids with care free lives. As children we didn't have to worry about disease, money, work, politics, wars, etc etc....We just saw everything as perfect...I'm sure for the grown man things were somewhat better back then then they are now. I mean hell, in 1984 the economy was good, Reagan was President, people got along better and we weren't at war! Oh, times have changed.

Anyway, I do remember the blue/green cloth seats and my father would always fall asleep when he took me on those Comets...I think the last Comet I was rebuilt in July of 1987...

Steve

by AKelley728

Okay, trying to get back on topic here... :) Does anyone have any updated info on what is going to happen to those MTA C2s?

by njt4172

Yeah, some of the MTA Comet II's, particular the Comet IIS shoreliners(blue band cars) are heading back to the East of Hudson service....The remaining older ones that date back to 1983 are gonna most likely be scrapped!

Steve