• C1s and MN C2s at Hudson Yard

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

Last night, there was a long string of low level C1s and MN C2s sitting at Hudson yard in Harrison. There had to be about 15 cars there, all coupled together.

There were no foreign markings on them, the names and numbers weren't lined out or anything......I wonder if they are the first batch which were sold and are actually ready to be released? Were the C2s sold too or were they simply sold for scrap?

Why doens't NJT buy them (MN C2s) and rebuild them to match our rebuilt C2s? Oh, wait a sec, that would make sense.

by nick11a

You got me. They could be selling them but I don't think they would do that just yet. I would of thought they would wait until the Comet V delivery was complete. Some of the Comet IIs maybe on there way back to MTA for possible service east of Hudson now that the MTA Comet Vs are just about all here. Were there any MN Comet II cabs among them?

by Jtgshu

Yea, there was one, Im not positive of the number, 5179 maybe......the MN cars were on the east end and the NJT C1's were on the west end of the train.

All the low level C1's have been sold already, haven't they? Wasn't there an auction about a year ago for the "sliders?"

by nick11a

Well, I know the bar cars (1600s) have been sold and are gone but I don't know if the other sliders (1700s) have been sold yet. IIRC, they were to be gone by the begining of this year but NJT decided to hold onto them for another year because of the Vs not being delivered all the way. I vaguely recall a post on this from about a year ago but can't quite remember.

I've heard the low level 1s called "sliders" before in here. I guess they are called that because of the doors. Is that right? I mean, those doors do slide.

by 7 Train

The Comet I's were due to be phased out by the end of 2003. But why are they still in daily service?

by Irish Chieftain

Because Alstom's financial woes delayed delivery of the full order of Comet Vs. Same applies to the PL42AC locomotives.

by transit383

Why doens't NJT buy them (MN C2's) and rebuild them to match our rebuilt C2's? Oh, wait a sec, that would make sense.
I guess for the same reason NJT didn't buy/borrow any of the Comet IAs for use with the C1Bs until they are finally retired. The high level capable C1As could have been used to phase out the low level C1s, which are still in service.

Also, wasn't the M&E a buyer of the Comet Is? I believe they bought sixteen of them.

by 7 Train

When are the Comet IB's due for replacement?

And how much longer will the Comet I's be the mainstay of the Main/Bergen/Boonton and M&E diesel lines? When will be their last ride? I would like some photos.

by nick11a

I have not heard anything yet about the retirement of the IBs. But there day is coming probably soon. I supsect the Comet Is will be around a little while longer- maybe another year or less.

Also, coming back from New York tonight on the 10:39 Dover train, I saw the cars in question. There still there. Either they've taken a slight detour to/from the MMC or something else is up.

by njt4172

Nick,

I saw a 1600 series "slider" at Denville last night on a Boonton line train! I'm not saying your totally wrong, but not all the 1600 series cars are gone!

Steve

by Uzi-Cat

Two bar cars are sitting there at Hudson. I think it was 1604 and 1603. Could have been 1605 and 1604. I miss them on my trains already.

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:Nick,

I saw a 1600 series "slider" at Denville last night on a Boonton line train! I'm not saying your totally wrong, but not all the 1600 series cars are gone!

Steve
Wow, I thought they were all gone! Thanks Steve. I'll have to look for them now.

by njrail3963

They are still there 15 cars total. 5 low door only Comet 1's and 10 MN Comet 2's including "SLOATSBURG", there was a MN cab car on the east end. 4408 has been sitting in front of them since yesterday today with 4300, yesterday 4302.

by njt4172

Nick,

No problem! The ex bar car still in service is the #1609. He came in on train #1081 which is the Hoboken-Hackettstown Boonton line.....

Steve

by nick11a

njrail3963 wrote:They are still there 15 cars total. 5 low door only Comet 1's and 10 MN Comet 2's including "SLOATSBURG", there was a MN cab car on the east end. 4408 has been sitting in front of them since yesterday today with 4300, yesterday 4302.
And just throwing this just in for fun, yesterday evening and last night to early morning, 4301 was in Summit yard with a set of 3 car set of Comet 4s and 2Ms and interestingly enough it had an ex-NJT Comet II cab on the end. Looked real interesting- almost like it had an NJT Comet II cab.

Oh and I'll keep an eye out for 1609.

EDIT: Oh, and yes, I do recall reading here that the M&E bought some low level Comet Is.