• OOS UNITS/ UNITS RETURNED TO SERVICE.....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by railroadcarmover

P&W planned on upgrading the bulk of their B/U23 fleet to larger and newer power, ( I forget offhand what they were ) and they traded in the B/U23 as a result.
To my knowlege the P&W units were not too bad.
When i was shopping to buy one, I inspected the 2205 2207, 2209 and 2211 when SLRR put them up for sale. They all had minor issues but nothing that some shop time couldnt take care of. ( Except for 2207 which had a cracked block due to freeze damage. )

by lvrr325

They replaced the U23Bs with ex-LMX B39-8's - a little surprising since I would have expected the majority of them to need a complete overhaul after BN got done beating the tar out of them. Then they picked up the last 4 NYS&W B40-8's. Again, surprising given they were something the NYS&W was getting rid of. The shop in Utica switched over the ATS and cab signal stuff into the B39s for them.

Some of the Conrail guys I used to talk to preferred two of the 2000-2500 HP units to one unit with a higher horsepower, the high-HP B-Bs are great on the mainline but very slippery trying to do local work and switching with them.

Given the apparent care P&W applies to it's fleet, I would have thought that the first units they'd dump would be in line for overhauls or have major problems (like freeze damage). On the other hand when they unload an entire group of one model, you know some of them are bound to be in good shape.

by railroadcarmover

Yes, thats it the 39's. My mind escaped me.
I recalled that they stripped out all the gear to reinstall into the 39's.

Yes, its true the P&W takes great care of their equipment. I spoke to their CMO regarding the U23's, and it was quite obvious.
Also, these units were rebuilt frame up in Juniata back in 84 by CR, before they were shipped to P&W.

I so agree with the idea that one has a better chance of getting a good unit when an entire fleet is put up for sale.

by sallenparks

Thought everyone might want to know about the three Q engines down at Dansville.3022 sits outside waiting the 3018 is stripped down to bare frame highhood still on though and the 3012 is park in front of a NJT F40 and has her primemover area opened.Work seems to be comeing along just fine.

by Steve F45

PICS? How long does it usually take for a full rebuild like these are getting?

by Jtgshu

NJT F40???? I guess thats where the Railworld ex Amtrak F40's were sent to? Any other F40's there, or just one?

by ANDY117

Sounds like a place I'll have to make a pilgrimage to. What about the 3618?

by Steve F45

yea what did happen to 3618? went in the same time as 3012 and thats been out for 3 weeks atleast.

by sallenparks

Well I didn't see 3618 anywhere and I wish I had pics but everything was veiwed through open doors of the shop building except 3022 only one outside.There was another SD their as well at the paint booth but she was Silver&Green.

by Steve F45

3614 is reportedly on its way up for rebuild too.