• OOS UNITS/ UNITS RETURNED TO SERVICE.....

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by ANDY117

Here's my dead list:

NYSW 3660 C636 Supposedly next in repair line
NYSW 3662 C636 parts donor
NYSW 3666 M636 OOS, probably back after 3660?
NYSW 3670 M636 OOS, back after 3666?
NYSW 3668 M636 OOS? In Binghamton a few days ago. Gone now.
NYSW 3614 SD45 Parts unit, going out for rebuild?

Direct from an NYSW employee:

3614 is headed out to Dansville for rebuild
2 C420s acquired
All units NYSW plans to keep are being repainted
NYSW bought the ex P&W units (2208 is parts unit)

SUMMARY:

We can apparently look forward to high hood SD40s in NYSW colors, as well as U23s, MLW and Century units, 3614 returning, and more CSX detours!

EDIT:

Got the dates for detours:

Detours start on July 2. There will be two trains a day. Q271
and Q156. These trains will run for three weeks.

by Noel Weaver

This is interesting stuff, hope it comes to pass.
While Binghamton probably will never be as busy as other places, it takes
a back seat to none of them when it comes to interesting locomotives.
Noel Weaver

by Alcoman

Where are they getting 2 C420's? Or is this someones dream? C420's are as scarce as hens teeth.

by ANDY117

I agree with that, Noel! I've seen every class 1, Finger Lakes Railway, all sorts of leasers, NS SD80s (once) and even rail grinders! It is a nice place to be i if you know where to go. (Only area I haven't exploresd yet is CP-JOHNSON in Johnson city)

Back to the NYSW, 3018, 3022, and 3014 are next on the ride to Dansville.

by sallenparks

The only C420's that I can think of would be the GWI pair former Little Rock&Western one of which is former SusieQ 2000 or the Amsterdam leaseings former LTV which is only one or something from ALCO FANS HERO ED BOWERS.

by Alcoman

sallenparks wrote:The only C420's that I can think of would be the GWI pair former Little Rock&Western one of which is former SusieQ 2000 or the Amsterdam leaseings former LTV which is only one or something from ALCO FANS HERO ED BOWERS.
NYSW 2000 was scrapped. The 2002 is now on the Buffalo Southern.
The Little Rock units may be the ones.
LNA&C had one for sale which I understand is sold. The Amsterdam leasing unit is painted in LV colors. Ohio Central has one which is former LTV.
I find it hard to beleive that NYSW is buying more Alcos after getting rid of the ones they had starting with the C420 and C430's.
Can anyone verify this information?

by oibu

Well they bought the 8 636s, didn't they? Strange perhaps, but now that their road fleet is back to being about 50% Alco, I suppose it could make sense to buy more.

As for Binghamton not being very busy... other than the Chicago Line or the former PRR there's darn few places in the northeast with as much freight activity as Bingo has these days!

by sallenparks

Everybody seems to think that the last M636's on the Cartier are done once the AC's arrive maybe they should look into those six axled loco's would be better.And I thought that LR&W 101 was the EX.2000 sorry if I was wrong.

by sallenparks

I just thought of something else before everyone goes crazy how much of this is fact and if they got 420's when do the expect them to arrive.

by scottychaos

very ineresting stuff!
thanks Andy! :P

here is the pair of Little Rock & Western C420's:

http://alcoworld.railfan.net/lrw.htm

101 - Long Island 207, to Erie Western, to Little Rock & Western 101.
originally a high-hood. nose has been chopped.

102 - built August 1966, #3467-01, as Louisville & Nashville 1306

http://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr078.htm
http://thedieselshop.us/Alco_C420.HTML

Scot

by scottychaos

wow..C420 102 has also had some funky cab work done..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=146477

anyone know the story there?
she must have been an original low-hood, so whats with the weird cab sheetmetal work? wreck repairs perhaps?

Scpt

by ANDY117

I know the NYSW 3670 has a weird windshield. It's flat, and single-paned.

by ANDY117

The U-boats are to become the NYSW 2300 and 2302. The guy just got off the ophone with someone from Utica Shops and the NYSW 3018 and that group wil be back ain a couple months. Now begins the waiting game.

Scot- How about some Photoshopped NYSW SD40s and U23s to tide us over? (maybe redo the NYSW M6363s, my shots of the 3674 and 3672 in Binghamton so we get a broadside look.)

by scottychaos

ANDY117 wrote:I know the NYSW 3670 has a weird windshield. It's flat, and single-paned.
Andy..im not seeing it..
its windshield looks normal to me.

ANDY117 wrote: Scot- How about some Photoshopped NYSW SD40s and U23s to tide us over? (maybe redo the NYSW M6363s, my shots of the 3674 and 3672 in Binghamton so we get a broadside look.)
sure! I will try to do some up! :P
I already did a 636:
http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... ehanna.jpg

Did you say high-hood SD40's?
whats the story with them?

Scot

by Steve F45

andy, 3668 supposedly came down on this mornings su-100. I did hear one of the alco's was going to get a brand new motor. can't remember which number.

3614,3018,3022 are getting done up. I had heard the high noses were getting chopped and painted in blk/yel. I have not heard anything about getting more alco's unless its just for parts.