Railroad Forums 

• railroad collision with sem- truck on crossing?????????????

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#262854  by CSX-COAL HAULER

How do you guys feel when you re involed in a crossing accident? We hit a Semi truck with a lowboy trailer carring a large excavator on it---tonight! Luckie for me and my co-worker--they had aleady dissonnected the semi engine from the flatbed trailer that was stuck on the crossing---they were going to get the excavator off the flatbed and use the big tractor to move the trailer..---------------------------------------------------we were on the main line coming south--just outside the yards limits--we were traveling track speed about 40mph here------------we came around a corner and within 3 secounds we hit the cab floor and were pushing this semi along the tracks---we hit his large fuel tank on the side and spewed diesieal fuel all over our front end..we were just luckie enough to have not got a hold of that trailer ang large piece of equipment.

Good thing you can't shoot all the dumbazz---that endangers me and my buddies lives everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#263020  by slchub

Glad nobody was hurt. The only thing I've hit are rabbits. One hogger I rode with is called Butcher-Bob as he is a cow magnet. Got one cow with him going to Milford near Carp. We exited the cab through the back door when we got to Milford.

#263101  by justinking

glade no one was hurt. As for the guy you hit, esp. since he was so close to a yard, you'd have to expect there to be a train. He should have called CSX to alert them that they were stuck. Sometime people just don't get it.

As for hitting a cow. I can't even imagine what that had to look like.

#263228  by JLJ061

justinking wrote:As for hitting a cow. I can't even imagine what that had to look like.
I heard one train crew call in one time, saying they hit a cow. Then the conductor asked the dispatcher to call home and tell his wife he was bring home the beef!

#263241  by route_rock

The DS asked for a description of cows running along the ROW and an engineer I know responded " Well they have four legs black and horns" The DS had to take a laugh break.

#263961  by slchub

Cows can be a real mess as can sheep. This cow did not do too much splattering but I have seen some units, most likely they were traveling at 60 mph or better, where the front of the unit is covered with blood and grass. Yuck.

Anyone ever rode in an old cab (SD40) and had the door propped open for some air and had a bird fly into the cab?

#264257  by steemtrayn

slchub wrote:Cows can be a real mess as can sheep. This cow did not do too much splattering but I have seen some units, most likely they were traveling at 60 mph or better, where the front of the unit is covered with blood and grass. Yuck.

Anyone ever rode in an old cab (SD40) and had the door propped open for some air and had a bird fly into the cab?
http://community.webshots.com/photo/465 ... 157hdEcEi#

#264457  by GOLDEN-ARM

Rode in a Dash-9, with AC b/o, front doors propped open, and ran through a cloud of bees.......... :( Sadly, also lost Blue card, and all other paperwork that belonged in loco, after quickly exiting through the back door.......... :P

#264938  by b&m 1566

slchub wrote:Cows can be a real mess as can sheep. This cow did not do too much splattering but I have seen some units, most likely they were traveling at 60 mph or better, where the front of the unit is covered with blood and grass. Yuck.
I would hate to be the person that would have to clean that mess up. On a nice hot day the fragrance must smell great!???.

#265216  by Ken W2KB

b&m 1566 wrote:
I would hate to be the person that would have to clean that mess up. On a nice hot day the fragrance must smell great!???.
A fire hose would work nicely to avoid the issues, I suppose.

#266631  by BlackDog

I blasted through a herd of cows one night, killed over 25. They really do explode. I rang up the dispatcher and told him to send a member of law enforcement to take care of any mortally wounded bovines and to call the fire dept. to hose the lead unit down.

Oh the carnage!!!