Railroad Forums 

• Best match for old B&H paint colors

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#237852  by Luther Brefo

This is not as much an HO scale question as it is a "research on the railroad" question...
After purchasing a DCC equipped Atlas Alco S1 on eBay that was presented as an S2, I've decided to make it into Bath & Hammondsport #5.

The only problem is that I do not have any recent (2006) pictures of number 5 nor have I seen the engine in person. Does anyone have pictures of number 5 from this year?

Also what red best describes the red color of the body?

http://www.lalrailfan.net/gallery/album ... coS1-5.jpg

#237922  by railwatcher

#4 and #5 appear to look the same.

#238039  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:#4 and #5 appear to look the same.
Yes that is true, but that does not really answer my question.

I have never seen the engines in person and was wondering if someone who has could describe the kind of red it is. I have several pictures in my possession but none of the reds match each other so I cannot be certain of which red is "right"?

#238077  by railwatcher

It see. Might pay to ride to Cohocton (NY390 exit 2). Champagne #4 sits outside. Looks like a faded Metalic paint from days gone by, Not done in todays paint styles of base coat/clear coat. Sorry, I couldn't offer more advice.

Greg

#238112  by scottychaos

I doubt they were ever metallic.
the paint is actually faded and getting chalky..no gloss anymore, they need waxing! ;)

Its hard to describe colors without having anything to compare it to..

Im also planning on modeling both the B&H switchers eventually, in Large Scale! so I will need to match the red as well!

Here is a plan..we talked about doing this for the LV red for the Sayre U-boat, and I still havent done it..

I will go to a paint store and get some red paint samples..those "swatch" color sample things..then drive down to Cohocton and compare! :P
see which one is a match.
Im planning on driving down to Waverly sometime in the next 2-3 weeks anyway to help out my parents with some yard work, so I will be going right by..that will give us a real-life sample with which to match!
then you can take that paint swatch into model RR shops and match model paint to it...easier than taking a full-size Alco switcher into the train shop! :P

(and if anyone wants to try this idea before I can get to it, feel free!)

Scot

#238887  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote: Its hard to describe colors without having anything to compare it to..

Im also planning on modeling both the B&H switchers eventually, in Large Scale! so I will need to match the red as well!

Here is a plan..we talked about doing this for the LV red for the Sayre U-boat, and I still havent done it..

I will go to a paint store and get some red paint samples..those "swatch" color sample things..then drive down to Cohocton and compare! :P
see which one is a match.
Im planning on driving down to Waverly sometime in the next 2-3 weeks anyway to help out my parents with some yard work, so I will be going right by..that will give us a real-life sample with which to match!
then you can take that paint swatch into model RR shops and match model paint to it...easier than taking a full-size Alco switcher into the train shop! :P
Scot
Wow. Thanks a lot Scot! :)
 #239611  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:I doubt they were ever metallic.
the paint is actually faded and getting chalky..no gloss anymore, they need waxing! ;)
I agree. Having seen the S-1s just 6 years after they were purchased by the B&H, the paint was never metallic. Yes, a nice coat of wax wouldn't hurt.

#239781  by railwatcher

If the paint has gone to that condition, it's beyond wax and buffing too.

Greg
 #240074  by Matt Langworthy

Depends on the type of paint used. I've saved the paint on several cars that looked alot worse than the S-1s.

#246674  by scottychaos

Ok, here we go, an experiment in color matching! :P

sorry Luther, but #5 was in the engine house, and #4 was outside.
they seem to take turns..every time I stop by Cohocton only one is outside..usually 4, but sometimes 5..If I was going to model only one of the pair, I would choose #4 anyway, since she still has her cab windows..
#5 has the windows plated over..
but! how could anyone only model one anyway?! :wink:
seems to me they MUST be modeled as a set! :P :wink:

so for now I have details of #4 only...I will make an effort to get the same photographic record of #5..I drive down to Waverly fairly often, I will keep stopping by Cohocton until I find #5 again!

here is my report:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... sport.html

Scot

#246893  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:Ok, here we go, an experiment in color matching! :P

sorry Luther, but #5 was in the engine house, and #4 was outside.
they seem to take turns..every time I stop by Cohocton only one is outside..usually 4, but sometimes 5..If I was going to model only one of the pair, I would choose #4 anyway, since she still has her cab windows..

so for now I have details of #4 only...I will make an effort to get the same photographic record of #5..I drive down to Waverly fairly often, I will keep stopping by Cohocton until I find #5 again!

here is my report:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... sport.html

Scot
Scot,

Thanks a lot! This is just great! :)
 #252340  by Matt Langworthy

scottychaos wrote:sorry Luther, but #5 was in the engine house, and #4 was outside.
I'm not quite sure when #5 had her windows plated over, but she apparently came to the B&H in that condition. Anybody know why?

Railroads You Can Model suggests using just a single S-1 to save expenses, but I'd recommend modelling both. After all, the contrasts like the windows and horn placement make for interesting details.