Railroad Forums 

• How long are the yard tracks?

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#243024  by Luther Brefo

Does anyone know the length of the longest track at Avon Yard and at Lakeville Yard?

At Lakeville, there are six tracks including the main line and at Avon I believe there are three including the main.

So effectively there are five tracks at Lakeville and two at Avon since cars are not stored on the active main.
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Sat May 20, 2006 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#244777  by railwatcher

Obviously, not long enough........The place is full of tank cars and Barilla is coming. Surely changes will be made.

Greg

#244902  by railwatcher

Measured them today to be about 0.5 miles long, the team track and of course the shorter third track is about 8 cars long. The Avon Industrial line to Kraft is 0.6 miles long. Will this help you?

Greg

#245054  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:Measured them today to be about 0.5 miles long, the team track and of course the shorter third track is about 8 cars long. The Avon Industrial line to Kraft is 0.6 miles long. Will this help you?

Greg
Definitely helps....

As for any possible changes, I reckon Avon yard will increase in size, whether it be length or width.

" For its part, the LAL expects to invest a significant amount of money to expand the Avon Yard and to build turnouts to serve the plant. In short, the LAL once again proved its worth as an economic development asset. "

Or Barilla might have its own yard within the complex. Either way, I look forward to it.